altimeter watch

mike1

The time has come to replace the '95 Vertech (anyone else still using these?). I've always been a bit frustrated with the battery replacement but that watch has been spot on - consistently! The last few years I've been having more problems with it and the service is gettin a bit sketchy since they've stopped manufacturing 'em. What are you using and how do you like it (for skiing and climbing)? Been kinda eyeballing the Suunto Core. Is black/black as bad as some say?

-Mike

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Core and I've been happy with it. I was gifted a High Gear alti watch (no idea on brand cost about 150) and it lasted two months before breaking so I upgraded to the Core and have been pleased. Eats a battery every 8 months or so and are user replaceable.

Edited by JBo6

for the price of most altimeter watches, you can get a decent GPS unit that will give you a lots more information than the watches do...

The poor battery life and inconvenience of having a GPS bulging one of the few pockets one generally has available in climbing clothing make this impractical. I also don't trust GPS altimeters as much as a solid baro-alti watch.

for the price of most altimeter watches, you can get a decent GPS unit that will give you a lots more information than the watches do...

The poor battery life and inconvenience of having a GPS bulging one of the few pockets one generally has available in climbing clothing make this impractical. I also don't trust GPS altimeters as much as a solid baro-alti watch.

I Agree, much easier to look at your wrist.

Another option would be Timex. I've been using the Timex expedition watch (WS4) for the past few years. Worked great and easy to use once you learn it. Huge face and numbers make reading it easy, and the elastic band lets me wear it easily on my bare wrist or on the top of clothing. Not having to take gloves off and roll up multiple sleeves to check the time/altitude is much nicer than I had ever expected.

I've beaten the shit out of it for the past two years and it's worked great. Battery finally died though a month ago.

The only draw back is that it's pretty big, blocky, and not really "fashionable". I certainly don't give a crap about that, but I know some people do.

I picked up the Suunto Core Military Black/Black today from REI. I was shocked at how much smaller it is than I expected. It was very easy to set up and will be easy to update on the go. Very light and comfortable. I hadn't intended to, but I'm just going to wear it as my regular time piece.

So I get home from REI to an email from Avocet telling me they installed a refurbished electronic module free of charged and my watch is in the mail. I have to say, even without the back-light and the pain of having to send it in for battery replacement, that old computer has been a really good altimeter and the service department has always been helpful. I guess I have a great backup now.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Mike

• 1 month later...

My POS Polar FT7 HR monitor is crapping out on me dropping data and rebooting while I'm running. I really like my Core so far, but am tempted to use the REI option (have both watches less than a year!) and returning them for the Suunto Ambit. Anyone fly one of these? Likes, dislikes? Global-ProductImages-Suunto-Ambit-Black-%28HR%29-Suunto-Ambit-Black-%28HR%29-3790.png

Or maybe I stick with the cool Core and just get a better HR monitor. Suggestions there (no GPS)?

Mike

• 1 month later...