1993ish Dynafit TLT Bindings... safe to use?

smithxrandy

I have come across a pair of the original TLTs, never skied or if they were, there are no indications. No play, scuffs, scratches or anything. Perfect action in the heel, toe locks out and releases nicely.

Can anyone come up with some reasoning to not mount and ski this instead of buying the new TLT speeds for $500

I understand they are possibly 20 years old, but does metal or the springs decay or something? They seem just as bomber or actually ore so than most of my friends g3 / dynafit bindings that are a season old

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Properly made springs will last for a really, really, really long time (basically until corroded or damaged) -- also, I think even regular use within the tolerance of the spring should not really "wear it out"

I wasn't a mechanical engineer major or anything but I remember reading about this very topic regarding springs in gun magazines (the context was regarding if it hurts the springs to keep the magazine loaded indefinitely -- it doesn't, though many gun manufacturers want you to think so.) someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also I suppose it matters what type of metal we are talking about?

Anyway, can't a good ski shop test their release for you and make sure the DIN is accurate, etc.? A friend of mine just mounted a pair and he said they did that

As said springs if made properly will last a very long time. Think about clocks. it take a huge number of cycles for a spring to fatigue especially when they are kept well within the elastic limits.

For the OP I have binding that are probably as old. Not dynafits but others. Have them checked out for signs of corrosion/rust and then grease them up.

@smithxrandy: I wonder about the plastic pieces - it would suck to rip out a tower mid turn. Here's a link to Lou Dawson's page on this binding.

@Bstach: I would for fun, on a nice groomer, green run, for the novelty of it. But plastic ages and becomes brittle. So do my knees. The combination of the two would keep me from pushing it more than this.

Edited by chris