CLIMBING GEAR STOLEN in West Portland

YocumRidge

It is very devastating.. Today my car was broken into at the top of Council Crest by the OHSU Med School and my Marmot pack was stolen with: red Sterling rope 60 m, orange/silver Petzl Hirundos harness (size Medium) with two Petzl ice clippers, red/white Acopa Spectre rock shoes (s. 8), green Reverso 3, black Arc'teryx chalk bag.

If someone will come across any of these on Craigslist, Next Adventure etc, please let me know.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really sorry for your loss---I know exactly how you feel from my own experience. But, I have to ask one question: (Assuming the car was locked--?)Was the pack in full view, from outside the car? If so, you just have to hide things or cover them in some way. What can be seen is absolutely vulnerable. The Portland Police auto theft bureau has admonished drivers for many years to leave absolutely nothing visible from outside the car. Also, from the description, it doesn't sound as if this was so large a pack load that it couldn't have been brought inside and stashed in a locker, closet, etc.

Also think about anyone who may have known of your climbing activities, or who would have observed your coming and going from this area over a span of several days or weeks, any kind of regular basis. Thieves familiarize themselves with, and follow people with the kinds of things they're looking to steal. Often times the person who stole your gear is, or has been, much closer to you than you may realize.

Yeah, the car was locked, with the alarm on, the pack was in the hatch and not much to be seen with the tinted windows.

That was my regular street parking at work (and 1 mile of hiking to the building) and although I could have taken the gear with me, I had a lot of other stuff to carry to work that day, so the pack was left in the car. Two police reports, albeit useless, were filed: "vandalism" (window was smashed and the door destroyed) and "theft to a vehicle" for what its worth.

Often times the person who stole your gear is, or has been, much closer to you than you may realize.

That would be a real bummer.

That really sucks. Perhaps you have some insurance that may cover the loss? I know my homeowner policy kicked in for what my auto policy did not cover when my truck got smashed/grabbed many years ago. If you have comprehensive on your auto policy, that may cover some, or most. Sorry to hear it.

Makes me mad! :mad: I will keep an eye out. Send a list to Next Adventure they will keep an eye out for ya too! I was told by the Portland Police if I find my gear and there is a police report filed and I see my gear I can just grab it.

If you have serial #s you can set up a sting like I did and get your gear back that way. By the way that was kinda a fun deal when I got the Basic Cams back. Kinda scary though.

Edited by Plaidman

Yeah, Dave, I have looked into this. My HO insurance has a high deductible, but "vandalism and theft" coverage on the USAA auto policy will reimburse half of the gear loss with no deductible and all the damage done to the car, which is better than nothing of course.

My gear got heisted out from under the floor boards of my car out in front of my now wife's house. I had USAA auto and renters and they just asked me for a replacement cost and mailed a check under the rental policy with no documentation of any kind or questions asked. Must be some difference between the renters and HO policies from the sound of it or times have just changed.

i work at next adventure in the tune shop/bargain basement, we have not seen any of this gear in our shop. the buyers usually read through the stolen gear list every morning, and receive emails from the portland police dept.

just for the record next adventure would not buy any of the safety rated climbing gear, and we would only offer in store credit for items like the pack, shoes and chalk bag. there really is not much value in it for a thief to bring us that gear.

still, we will keep an eye out for you, and call you if we see anyone trying to sell us your gear.

Good to know that the serial numbers have some uses.

But then how do you approach the crooks, Scott? With the serial number and a gun in hand?

I called the cops and they backed me up and we set up the sting together. It was kinda cool. Someone tipped me off as the guy was trying to sell the stuff on craigslist. So I called him up and set up the meet and the cops were there waiting on a side street. I gave an excuse that I had to call my climbing partner to tell him that we were buying the stuff and said the code word into the phone as I was actually calling the cell phone of one of the cops. They rolled up and I acted surprised. They put the guys in cuffs and put him in the cop car.

One of the cops remarked that I looked more surprised than the purp. I told them I used to do some acting. Most of the time I act like and asshole these days.

They thought that was kinda funny.

The cops wrote down a description of the cams and then handed them to me. I went home a happy camper. It was not all that was stolen but it made me feel better.

Edited by Plaidman

I had USAA auto and renters and they just asked me for a replacement cost and mailed a check under the rental policy with no documentation of any kind or questions asked. Must be some difference between the renters and HO policies from the sound of it or times have just changed.

May be not. My HO insurance is with Ameriprise, since USAA do not provide the earthquake coverage. I reside on the top of a cliff, so gotta have an earthquake insurance, Joe :)

Yeah, Dave, I have looked into this. My HO insurance has a high deductible, but "vandalism and theft" coverage on the USAA auto policy will reimburse half of the gear loss with no deductible and all the damage done to the car, which is better than nothing of course.

My gear got heisted out from under the floor boards of my car out in front of my now wife's house. I had USAA auto and renters and they just asked me for a replacement cost and mailed a check under the rental policy with no documentation of any kind or questions asked. Must be some difference between the renters and HO policies from the sound of it or times have just changed.

USAA is the shizzle. When my car got jacked, I got full replacement value for my old cd's that were also stolen. I had tried to sell all of them at the used cd shop and the guy offered me about $100, USAA gave me $1800, just for the crap I never listened to anyway. Of course, all that stuff is back "in" now. I bet they are a bit stricter on policy pay outs these days as this was back in the good ole days of yester-century...