Totem Cams - 5 Star Product

Plaidman

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

agreed, hands down the best cam i've ever used: as good range as the C4 and just as light, don't walk, fits flares and offsets, 1/3 the head width of C4s with just as thick lobes, super flexible, multiple clipping options, feel burly, and the strange head shape just seems to offer more security. bomber!

it took a bit actually using them, but after a few days i found myself always reaching for a totem in desperate times ... and actually feeling good about every placement i've made with them, even on hard aid in the Fisher towers, fucked up Little Cottonwood cocksuckery, and even more fucked up big cottonwood quartzite cracks (kinda like weird smith cracks). My offset mastercams and C3s are starting to gather dust.

only complains are the are a bit bulky on the rack, the yellow and blue should be colored differently (red or orange for the yellow and yellow for the blue). also they don't make enough sizes!

Have you noticed any durability issues?

Specifically, when I played with them I was worried that the thinner cables that run over the cams to the clip in point that pull down on the cams' inner lever would wear out over time. I figured I'd wait until people had used them for a year or two before I bought any for myself.

What about the relatively thin wires that run over the levers on the cam lobes? Are those fraying at all, or showing any wear for people that have used them a lot?

I have a set I have had for over 2 years now. If you want to take a look at them we can make arrangements. Just PM me.

Boadman requested that I post some pics of my set of Totem Cams.

I have been climbing on them for nearly 2 years now. I have replaced all my C-4's with Totem Cams up to #2. Still have to use #2 and #3 C-4's

Here is the set. I am not a photographer, so this is the best I could do. Each cam will be shown individually from both sides.

SAM_1832.JPG

SAM_1833.JPG

SAM_1834.JPG

SAM_1835.JPG

SAM_1836.JPG

SAM_1837.JPG

SAM_1838.JPG

SAM_1839.JPG

SAM_1840.JPG

SAM_1841.JPG

SAM_1842.JPG

SAM_1843.JPG

SAM_1844.JPG

SAM_1845.JPG

SAM_1846.JPG

SAM_1847.JPG

SAM_1848.JPG

SAM_1849.JPG

SAM_1851.JPG

SAM_1850.JPG

SAM_1852.JPG

SAM_1853.JPG

SAM_1854.JPG

SAM_1856.JPG

SAM_1855.JPG

SAM_1857.JPG

SAM_1858.JPG

SAM_1859.JPG

SAM_1860.JPG

SAM_1863.JPG

SAM_1864.JPG

These last photos are the first Totem that I got and is the one that has been placed the most.

SAM_1865.JPG

SAM_1866.JPG

SAM_1867.JPG

SAM_1868.JPG

Edited by Plaidman

• 6 months later...

So, I bought a set of the Totems, blue to red. I've only climbed with them a few times so far, but my initial feelings are that they're pretty cool. The way they place (even in the large sizes) reminds me a lot of aliens. They sort of set into place, and because of their general floppiness, they don't seem to walk at all, even with minimal added slings. I've only taken a few test falls on them, but they've held well in placements that I would consider marginal. I'd recommend them as a companion set to your C4s for sure. My current ideal cam rack for long pitches is gray-purple tcu, green,yellow, red aliens, blue-red totems, and green-blue C4s. I climbed several difficult (for me) pitches at Index over the weekend on this rack, and rarely didn't have the perfect piece.

One of the features I love is that they don't seem to get stuck. Metolius Supercams seem to be getting stuck all the time for me, where you have to work at getting it out, not the Totems.

Great range, great holding power, don't get stuck. What's not to luv?

Oh, Price.

Shoulder dependent, planning on taking them and the shotguns out tomorrow for the shooting/climbing dual excitement excursion with the pup.

Not this pup:

Sadie_May_at_angles_rest.jpg

This one:

Shaun_at_Cathedral_July_2008_small.jpg

Totem cams and Vepr 12's - Woot!

• 2 weeks later...

Ran a set of these through about 30 pitches this past weekend and my partner and I both agreed that they're the best placing cam we've used. Never have I though I'd be placing C4s on the B-team, but now I am. I'm now interested in seeing what their basic cams are like too.

Easy to place, easy to clean, and they bite really well (at least in squamish granite). Purple one caught a small fall I took no problem. The flexy nature of the stem is very nice. Very well put together; high quality product.

My only major complaint is that they stop at the 1 size (and price of course).

Definitely recommended.