Free-lance guide in the North Cascades

Salagadoola

I am looking for an expert guide based in Seattle willing to free lance 1:1 for a 3-5 days climb in the North Cascades in July (any time between July 10 and 20).

I am a beginner, although I have climbed some respectable mountains (Ecuador Volcanoes, Bolivia, etc.). I am interested in improving my mountaineering skills, adding some steep snow experience (front pointing, mixed ax, etc.)

Does anybody know one that might be interested in doing that? That would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

legally?

you should offer your price range for this since you are looking for a "free lance".

Call N cascade mtn guide service. Lots of one on one custom work. If you really want one on one work, call any guide service as they all offer custom guiding.

You want either Chris Simmons; http://climbskirun.blogspot.com/. Fully certified IFMGA guide, has guided on every continent except Africa. Great guy, great guide, huge experience.

Also Kurt Hicks: http://kurthicks.com/about/. AMGA certified in several disciplines. Both are based in Seattle and climbing partners of mine and great people and great guides. I can unequivocally recommend either one. Neither will be cheap.

Yeah, I wasn't very specific about Mark, but he's awesome. I've spent a bunch of time with him and can vouch for him technically and personally. He will steer you toward whatever goal. He's had two first ascents in the Alaska Range including a peak he named with his partner Graham Zimmerman. Mark is a rock star and an IFMGA guide.

Thanks for the recommendation Dan. I was in touch with him and, unfortunately, our schedules aren't going to match up this season.

Just a reminder for folks looking to hire private guides and instructors -- be sure that the person you choose has insurance and federal operating permits. This usually, though not always, means that you have to book the trip through a larger guide service (AAI, NCMG, NMS, PGS, etc). Each of those companies provide the option for private one-on-one instruction.

Kurt,

You are welcome. I think it is important you mentioned the legalese. Guides have to have liability insurance, land use and/or concessionaires permits. Although I believe the system is changing, this now usually means going through one of the guide outfits. Of these outfits some are more amenable to custom itineraries and 1:1 guiding than others.

I could show you how to sharpen a stick for a self belay and approach Freedom Rider in approach tennies with a steep shrund without pons or axe. :moondance:

I recommend Buckner this time of year if you want alpine ice. One of the 9,000'ders. The north face is 1,300 ft of 40 to 50 deg snow/ice.

It's just a 1.5 to 1 day climb though, but there's other things you could do in the area like the N ridge of Forbidden, which involves a long snow face approach.