A letter from the USDA: Midnight Rock

Uncle_Tricky

A couple weeks ago I was climbing on Castle Rock--which is open to climbing. This week, I recieved the following letter from the USDA. Apparently they ran the plates of all the cars in the Castle Rock parking lot and sent letters to the owners of the vehicles.

-----------------

Dear (Uncle Tricky):

This letter is regarding the climbing closures in place from April 1 to July 31 in order to protect nesting birds of prey (raptors) at Midnight Rock in Tumwater Canyon on the Lake Wenatchee and Leavenworth Rager Districts. This voluntary closure has been in effect since 2000, to provide safe reproduction for cliff dwelling raptors known to nest on this cliff. The Access Fund has been instrumental in supporting and assisting the mission of the United States Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife in meeting our shared management goals during the breeding season.

On May XX from 2:15 - 3:30 p.m. two climbers were observed on Midnight Rock in the area of the closure. Several other groups were seen at the same time on Castle Rock, which is outside the closure area. Up until this point in time, no climbers had been observed violating this voluntary closure. However, as a result of this incident, we are now considering a seasonal mandatory closure that would be enforceable under the Federal Code of Regulations.

License plate numbers, including that of your vehicle, were taken down by Forest Service Wildlife Biologists. We don't know which party (or vehicle) was attached to this incident, although we do have a physical description from a distance of the two climbers. We appreciate the climbers that did observe the closure and limited their activities to Castle Rock. This is the only closure specific to rock climbing and nesting raptors on the Wenatcheee National Forest. However timing restrictions are used in other habitats to limit other forest uses, such as timing restrictions for logging activities and trail construction.

This letter is to ask for you understanding and cooperation in accomplishing the continued success of nesting raptors. Climber disturbance near nest sites can result in birds abandoning their nesting attempt, adults accidently dislodging eggs or young from the nest, or eggs being punctured or broken due to the swift movement of the adults. Hunting behavior may also be altered.

We are hopeful that by sending this letter we are building a bridge of understanding around this wildlife management concern. If you have any other questions or would like more information, please contact Wildlife Biologist Susan Piper or Wilderness Manager Lisa Therrell at this office.

Sincerely,

Glen Hoffman

District Ranger

Lake Wenatchee/Leavenworth Ranger Districts

[ 05-25-2002, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing i dont get about the closure is that it appears only to be a partial closure. so maybe these people where on the right climbs?? who knows.

all lworth deoforrest people can kiss my (insert pleasent comment here)

erik

The locations closed were mostly ledges from my memory. Like the entire Wild Traverse route.

The thing I believe is that maybe they dont even look up close to see what is actually going on. Meaning are they distinguishing from on the rock that that is where these things are nesting? Not likely... I bet they are just looking from afar. Thus could also mix up and think Noontime is also Midnight unless they walked up to the rock. If you are on the trail up closer they even look like one.

I saw many people climbing up there so far this year and none have reported seeing nests.

What you see is the birds flying to and from Noontime Rock. If one were to climb next to their nest I think they would get a little extra special treatment as those birds seem to be somewhat territorial and aggressive if you come near a nest..

My guess is deforest dicknecks probably don't know squat but just want to harrass and close areas to climbers since they dislike the rowdy people we can be [Razz]

FYI from the USFW website. I wouldn't just dismiss the concerns of the biologists, they're just trying to do their job. Some climbers just don't know about this, the others are just trying to justify their actions.

ATTENTION ROCK CLIMBERS: To protect nesting raptors, Midnight & Noontime Rocks and vicinity are closed to entry through July 31, 2002. Raptors have been observed on and between Midnight and Noontime Rocks. To protect these birds during the nesting period, these rocks and the areas immediately above and between them is closed to all entry. During the nesting period, the site will be monitored and if conditions warrant, some restrictions may be lifted.

raptor closures are typically in effect because biologists have little or no data to confirm nor deny that humans in the vacinity of nesting birds effect their likelyhood for successfull breeding....so for now only they can disturb the birds.......

the only people to have observed the nests on tumwater mountain as far as i know were forest service seasonal technicians in 2000, not biologists nor climbers...as suspected they rappelled down and harrassed the birds as ordered by there supervisors....the birds were obsrerved to be following the 1950's marriage handbook: straight sex, misionary style, for the purpose of reproduction only...any deviations from this theme including sex in front of others will be considered a perversion and senator mccarthy will have you under survailance and you may be asked to testify under oath in endless senate hearings, regarding you, your hippy friends, communism and other archpatriotic activities...

i have allowed curiosity take me up there to "harrass" these birds and found that yes they were in the vacinity .... they were on noontime and they were displeased by the general proximity of the cliff swallows and their insescent mobbing and harrassment...either that or they were hunting cliff swallows...

rumor has it, the USFS has installed motion detection video cameras on midnight and noontime rock and in the castle rock parking lot...larry the legend has a sattellite link to these monitors and an in-dash display....although the closure is voluntary, there are a number of other citations that larry will be happy to introduce you to when he sees your ugly mug and/or your license plate in the future.....it is still unclear what they plan to do with the videos of the falcons getting it on..................

quote:

Originally posted by cappellini:

.....it is still unclear what they plan to do with the videos of the falcons getting it on..................

This is Larry's retirement plan: New reality TV program - "When Wild Animals Get Horny" [Roll Eyes]

Greg

actually, i was the one to tip off the usfs in 2000 regarding the noontime rock nest. no federal employees have ever rapped into the nest area(s). telescopes were used to observe nesting/foraging behavior and the number of fledgings.

as jim pointed out, all of noontime and midnight (and likely "no-time" rock, as well) are now officially closed until 7/31 under penalty of fines, death, or worse from larry. don't be a selfish, brainless, "my user-group rules" shit-head and climb somewhere else until then.

more people = more fuckups = more cops

Climber #1, "Hey, someone bolted a new climb in the icicle."

Climber #2, "What a travesty! We are slapping Mother Nature in the face with this crap. The rock should be left the way it was found...we must unite as climbers to protect the land."

Climber #1, "Oh yeah, they also closed some climbing areas temporarily so some eagles can get through their nesting season undisturbed."

Climber #2, "Oh SCREW THAT! Who cares about friggin birds boffing each other? I'm going climbing wherever I want!" [laf]

Dru - It just depends on site-specific issues. In general raptors are more sensitive to disturbance earlier in the nesting season, before eggs hatch. On the chief the climbs may be far enough away that they use a two-tier buffer zone, one early season, a smaller one later in the season. This is something that's used in other places. At midnight, it may be that there's too many climbs in close proximity of the nest so they close it until the young fledge. But I'm speculating, I'll check with the FS biologist.

No Jim, the peregrines were nesting on upper Freeway/Clean Corner area, so all climbs from freeway thru Negro Lesbian were (are?) closed till July.

BUT they notice peregrines arent there this year and have been seen over by NW passage, so they are trying to confirm this, then they will open freeway and close Nw passage (which nobody has ever repeated anyways)/wall of attrition area till chix are fledged or whatever.

a peregrine tried to steal my hat once north of Pemberton.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Seems to me every time i go climbing in the Cascads in Bc i see golden eagles.... I crept up on one near Garibaldi once...
stupid images not enabled in this section!!!!

The ony places Ive seen Peregrines up close were on Peregrine peak [hence name
[smile]
] and the Chief. A peregrine once zipped between me and climbing partner walking down Apron descent trail slabs and killed a songbird in midair it was cool! Those things can really zip they are the porsches of raptors.
[smile]