Backdoors to Mt Rainier?

Fairweather

Just curious. I've been tossing around "alternative access" to Mt. Rainier in the event that they someday try to lock out, or severely limit climbing access. I've hiked into the park from the Lake Christine trailhead and think this would be a good way--over Gobblers Knob, down to Lk George-- to access Tahoma Glacier or any of the other west side routes. I've also looked at some of the Champion Intl. land as a possible access to the Northwest side. On the east, I've accessed Grand Park from FS road 73, but this has little climbing access value.

Does anyone out there have any other "clandestine access" ideas re: MRNP? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but just look at what is going on down at Mount Hood.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A big difference between Hood (whatever is going on their) and Rainier is that Hood isn't a Natl Park. The history of climbing on Rainier predates the park. That combined with the huge numbers of people attempting the summit, many using the services of an entrenched guide service, will probably keep the park service from locking out, or severely limiting climbing access.

Now, good alternate routes into the Enchantments is what I would like to hear about.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: ScottP ]

quote:

Originally posted by Maurice:
What is going on down at Mt Hood?

If the manager of Mt Hood Ntl Forest and "Wilderness Watch" have their way, Mt Hood's South Climb will be on a permit basis with climbers limited to 25 individuals per day. This decision is to be based not on environmental problems, but rather the "solitude" provisions in The Wilderness Act which some extremists feel are being violated on the south side of Hood. This will force many lesser experienced climbers on to harder routes where they will no doubt run into trouble.

Climbing on Mount Hood is also well established. Perhaps over 100,000 have climbed it since the end of the 19th century.

I for one, will not comply if this rule is enacted.

Actually, the Wilderness boundary starts up by Crater Rock. The rest of the climb is just regular FS land....which begs the question, how can they regulate from the parking lot at Timberline? Will they post a ranger at the boundary? Will they try to physically stop someone from proceeding if they have already climbed 4000 feet and have only 1000 to go?