Climbing in WA in late april

olive

I might travel around Seattle for a week or a little longer in late april. Have never climbed in the state - would Index or Leavenworth be doable? How hard it is to find partners? I lead up to easy 5.10 trad, hard 5.11 sport. Will have rack and rope etc., would be up for single or multipitch.

(I will be driving from Boise and my alternative is to spend some time in oregon, but I have been to Smith and wouldnt mind checking out new places). Thanks.

Edited by olive

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We should be getting some good days by then, but you can also get shut out in the springtime. I bet you'd get some climbing in though its not guaranteed like central Oregon is. The climbing in this state is wonderful... when you can climb it. Partners shouldnt be too difficult to round up from this site or elsewhere. PM me when you make it up this way. Cheers,

-Brandon

There is an amazing diversity of rock climbing in Washington and it is amazing to be able to climb at places as diverse as Islands in Puget Sound, the Cascade foothills, and the Washington Desert. I've generally done fairly well in April in all of these settings.

I'd say you could pretty much cout on Vantage being dry enough to climb, probably count on 11worth, and maybe count on Index. Probably 50/50 that Index will be dry enough to climb on any given day in late April. I'd also try and book partners before hand.

Leavenworth is drying out. Still some seeps and drips here and there and snow on some of the hillsides. Upper Castle rock looks dry, but there looks to be a bit of snow at the base of lower Castle. We have already seen ticks on the dogs, so early.

The Icicle TV crew got out today for a fancy photo shoot.

ICICLE TV

russ_climb_leavenworth.jpg