Pub Club 9/4

chelle

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Alki Tavern is located out on harbor avenue past Salty's.

The address is 1321 Harbor Ave SW,

If you get onto the west seattle bridge (hwy) going west, and take the Harbor avenue exit, take a right at the light and follow Harbor avenue around until you see Thai on Alki, the Tav is right next door...

good hunting I'll see ya tonight.

sean

Sean -

The phone books says the Alki Tavern is at 1321 Harbor Avenue Southwest. To get there, we take the West Seattle freeway (Spokane Street) from I-5 or surface streets two miles south of downtown Seaettle, and I believe that Harbor Avenue is a marked exit diverging right soon after cresting the W. Seattle bridge, about two miles from I-5. The tavern would be about a mile or mile and a half north on Harbor Avenue Southwest, eh? However, Washington state road signs can be confusing - do we need to know, in advance, which lane to stay in or something like that? Is the tavern easy to spot?

Mattp

Tuesday Pub Club Report:

My heart was pounding as the Ericmobile glided to a smooth stop alongside the grassy strip at the edge of the road. Across the street stood the famous Alki Tavern, a place I had read about for so many years in the tabloids: a hang-out for the movers and shakers, celebrities, and those who want to be. We were out of the vehicle no more than ten seconds before Eric pointed out two people heading toward the Tavern entrance. "It's Brad Pitt and Keanu Reeves!", I thought excitedly. On closer inspection, I found that I had vastly underestimated the situation. To my delight, it was FAST EDDIE and MATT P. The well-polished Harley's parked in front indicated that Eddie and Matt were just a sample of the alpine excellence that awaited inside. I could name more names (BECK!) but I don't want to be perceived as a celebrity name-dropper (BECK!), let's just say it was a veritable who's who of the mountaineering world. A few people were missing: Warren Harding and Walter Bonatti didn't show; I suspect it was either the late notice for the Pub Club or their planes were late, and a couple of other people were still on expeditions. And it wasn't all dudes, either. Miss Ehmmic represented alpine hardwomen everywhere and the lovely Stephanie brought much class and dignity to the evening.

Subjects discussed included: peaks, mountains, summits, crags, climbing, ascents, and much more. There were no punchouts amongst our group but a couple of gentlemen at the bar were starting something between themselves. Seventy-five cent hamburgers complimented the tasty containers of adult beverages.

To top off our star-filled gathering, the city of Seattle put on a spectacular fireworks display in our honor.

We missed all of you who were not there and look forward to your attendance at a future function. A couple of hot tips: Be prepared to sign lots of autographs for the REI crowd and be polite and stop and smile for the photographers...they're only doing their job!