Devils Thumb and cell phone

Jim

From the Juneau Empire:

The three tenets of rock climbing are teamwork, safety, and belaying. These are especially important on a mountain as difficult as Devil's Thumb, where weather, isolation, and terrain mean help can be days away, even with the instant communication offered by a cell phone.

Yet Marc, 30, left his team behind and climbed solo because he wanted "to improve reception on his cell phone." Fifty feet up from the base camp at 7000 feet, Mark had his cell phone in his hand when he disturbed a rock, started a landslide, and was buried under 1500 feet of gravel and boulders.

When his companions were told that it was impossible to retrieve his body, they agreed that it was a fitting burial place for the avid climber who died doing what he loved. It was not clear whether they referred to mountain climbing, or speaking on the cell phone.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet it's not a pose. I bet that the guy is Korean.

I've spent a few days cragging in Korea, and while the granite is spectacular, with tons of routes that rival Outer Space, the climbers are super sketchy. While good climbers, they have absolutely no concept of safety.

quote:

Originally posted by Toast:

quote:

Originally posted by salbrecher:

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:

From the Juneau Empire:

Well how the phuck should I know. I only know the Devil's Thumb around here.
[sNAFFLEHOUND]
Well you must know about the devils thumb in alaska because you asked if it's the one in alaska [Wazzup] .

quote:

Originally posted by Toast:

Juneau's in Alaska, dude.

Were you born stupid or do you practice [Mad] ! I know it's in alaska! You asked if it's the one in Alaska despite the fact that it said "from Juneau's empire". And I replied with the said quote making the point that it said where it was, ALASKA. And then this nonsence insued. and now it's time to get some [big Drink] and [chubit]