Goose Egg Mt.

kevbone

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me how to find Goose Egg Mt? I know it is near Tieton. Cant seem to find directions online. Thanks!

Also where is the good camping in the area. Is it climbable in early May?

Let me see if I still have my maps from when I went there a couple years ago w 112. There is tons of great campsites along the various lakes. It seems they were free but you had to buy some local permit. I will PM you if I dig up the maps (sure I've got some where in the map chest).

Z "Incredible Dihedral" on Ride the Lightning, was just that!

Great place to go car camping/cragging/fishing/biking/whatevering with the family(ies).

May is a good time - the climbs face south and usually dry. You can get there by the scenic route of Chinook Pass/White Pass & HWY 12 - it's basically just east of Naches, or drive to the Yakima area, then to Tieton. Camping at Rimrock Lake is good. There is a great trip report on this site somewhere by sobo. Also try www.cascadeimages.com/cr/tieton/tieton.htm

Seems we camped at one of the many campsites on "The Peninsula", just west of Goose Egg Mt.

Get the map... Yakima County Recreation Guide - You can borrow mine if you want to pick it up on yer way out.

I'm in North Bonneville, WA 98639. From here go...

google maps

1. Head southwest toward Shelly Ln

1.5 mi

2. Continue straight onto Cascade Dr

1.0 mi

3. Turn right to stay on Cascade Dr

0.8 mi

4. Turn left onto Dam Access Rd

407 ft

5. Turn left onto WA-14 E/Evergreen Hwy

3.2 mi

6. Turn right onto Bridge of the Gods

Toll road

Entering Oregon

0.4 mi

7. Continue onto Toll House Park

Toll road

0.3 mi

8. Turn right onto US-30/Wa Na Pa St

Continue to follow US-30

1.4 mi

9. Turn left to merge onto I-84 E

59.1 mi

10. Take exit 104 for US-97 toward Yakima Bend

0.2 mi

11. Turn left onto US-97 N

Entering Washington

2.5 mi

12. Turn left onto US-97 N/WA-14 W/Lewis and Clark Hwy

0.4 mi

13. Turn right onto US-97 N

58.5 mi

14. Turn left to stay on US-97 N

14.7 mi

15. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-82 W/US-97 N/Yakima and merge onto I-82 W/US-97 N

6.3 mi

16. Take exit 31 to merge onto US-12 W toward Naches/White Pass

17.7 mi

17. Turn left to stay on US-12 W

17.5 mi

18. Turn left onto Nat for Dev Rd 1200/Tieton Reservoir Rd

2.3 mi

Goose Egg Mountain

Kev, from the Couv you'll get there by going north on I-5 to exit 68, then Hwy 12 over White Pass. We did a car bivy on a forest road right nearby, but as noted there is lots of "dispersed camping" available in the National Forest.

We did Ride the Lightning on Memorial Day weekend, conditions were great and clearly it had been dry for awhile.

It's adventure climbing, not at all sport climbing. There is loose rock and route finding issues, and the odd bit of technical dirt and stacked pie plates. Its good if you like that sort of thing, I'm looking forward to doing a couple other routes there...

There is a great trip report on this site somewhere by sobo.
This TR, obwan?

Also try www.cascadeimages.com/cr/tieton/tieton.htm
Very good resource, that link. It's Joe Puryear's old site. RIP, Joe...

Kev,

If you haven't got it figgerd out by tomorrow, I'll post up detailed directions to get you to the stone and the free camping after work tomorrow night. I have to get up at 0-dark-30 these dayz, so I'm off to bed now, or I'd do it tonight.

There is a great trip report on this site somewhere by sobo.
This TR, obwan?

Also try www.cascadeimages.com/cr/tieton/tieton.htm
Very good resource, that link. It's Joe Puryear's old site. RIP, Joe...

Kev,

If you haven't got it figgerd out by tomorrow, I'll post up detailed directions to get you to the stone and the free camping after work tomorrow night. I have to get up at 0-dark-30 these dayz, so I'm off to bed now, or I'd do it tonight.

nice trip report and pictures. Yes I would love more information on where. We are thinking the first or second week in May. Do you think the weather would be good enough by then? Thanks a ton!

Now for the big question. Is the climbing any good?

RTL was very good imho. then went back & did dirty sanchez which was ho hum...maybe the harder stuff is better

the dihedral on rtl:

412985-438x1024.jpg

& this is the hanging boulder field you're climbing under:

IMG_4373-1024x768.jpg

Edited by fgw

Thanks for all the info everyone. Planning on spending 5 days in and around the Tieton area for first week in May. Anyone recommend any other climbs? I have never been to the area.

The Tieton area was a good part of the response to KyleJ's question regarding where's the best place to learn crack climbing in the NW, in this same forum (just up a few notches). Quite a few of everyone's favorites were listed.

Anyone recommend any other climbs? I have never been to the area.

All the elevens on the middle wall at the cave are great sportclimbs. The cracks at Royal Columns are all good, Inca Road and Orange Sunshine are stellar. Salmon Song, Tiers Roof and pure Joy are all excellent cracks at the bend. Its well worth the drive up to Lava Point and the Beehive for more 11ish sport routes and wildcat crack (below the beehive) is an amazing stemming and fingerlocking testpiece. Southfork has a few short multipitch and some harder sport routes. Don't go to Moon Rocks if you're at all tired, its a little more full on than the other areas.

Kev,

Check your PMs. Mui mui beta is posted there now.

Everything that everyone has said since my post above is spot on. But I'm intrigued by the upper pitches of RTL, so I wouldn't pull the D-ring on the 3rd pitch (as tvash suggests) on that one whenever I get there...