The Subaru Thread (Sponsored by AmazingCo, Inc.)

Dr_Flash_Amazing

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 2000 before I got the 2003 and I can't remember any accel. lag. I am probably not a good judge as I am used to a V-8 w/loads of power to spare. My main bitch is that the steering system is not stiff enough; meaning that I think it is all power, not power assist. I can't really feel the road like I can in my Chevy; it seems to oversteer. Gotta give props on the new H-6 engine; it rocks.

Interesting. DFA has found the Legacy to be excellent at highway speeds, with plenty of passing power, and enough oomph to stay in 5th gear over the mountains. But damned if the low speeds aren't a bitch. Especially stop and go traffic; it just seems to have sort of a touchy accelerator which also happens to lag at starts, leading to a lot of lurchy crap. It's honestly been kind of a challenge to drive gracefully at low speeds, and the Doctor has driven nothing but manuals since he got his permit. Strange.

Greg, DFA is nothing but envious of the H-6 Outback. Saw one on the way to lunch today, and was jealous.

My GL has annoying accelerator sluggishness when it is cold. When it is warmed up, it's not bad at all.

Before I got my Sub I had a sportscar and a motorcycle, so there's pretty much nothing that would make a station wagon feel right, in terms of acceleration and handling. Had to grow up and get practical.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

My GL has annoying accelerator sluggishness when it is cold. When it is warmed up, it's not bad at all.

My 87 GL wagon is a pig when it's cold, but when it warms up, then not so bad. [big Grin]

Go to your local parts dealer and ask about getting a K&N (or the equivalent)air filter. It lets more air through, and I find my car goes about 10% further on a tank of gas, and has more get-up-n-go. About CDN$75, but it pays off in gas, and the filter is reusable for the life of your car and beyond probably...

bad thing about the VW van - engine in back means accelerator cable along base to front means frozen cable in winter! Our bus cable froze on the way to the Wallowas and had to constantly reach down and pull the accelerator back up to slow down. annoying to say the least [laf]