computer help

layton

my web browsers have been acting screwy, maybe one of you techies could help?

This just started today, didn't change anything. I keep getting logged off every time I switch pages. This is the 1st time I could stay logged in long enough to post something. I clicked on the "stay logged in" box and told IE9 to remember my password. Any thoughts?

Why am I using IE9? Firefox's new default Yahoo! search change was super lame. I then used Chrome. One day, chrome stopped loading web pages. Can't get it to work anymore.

Ideas? I may or may not be able to post back until I figure this out.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Return to IE8. I've never had any problems with it.

IE9 Pros

New JavaScript engine and hardware acceleration mean greatly improved speed. Minimalist interface leaves more room for webpages. Download manager with malware protection. Improved tab function. Many security features. Tracking Protection. Improved standards support. Pinned tabs make sites like apps in Windows 7.

IE9 Cons

Only works in Windows 7 and Vista. Still some occasional site incompatibilities.

Bottom Line

Microsoft's new browser is faster, trimmer, more compliant with HTML5—a major improvement over its predecessor. It also brings some unique capabilities like tab-pinning and hardware acceleration, but only Windows 7 and Vista users need apply.

...First Look at the New Browser

IE9's interface hasn't changed from the Release Candidate. The new trimmed-down window header even still has the back arrow button clipped off to give space to the Web page. The tabs are squared off—I prefer the slightly rounded corners of the beta's, but Microsoft reps told me testers wanted more space for tabs, and moving the browser around the screen seemed snappier, though the PCMag.com home page seemed jumpy while I resized its window. The first time you run the new browser, you no longer have to go through a wizard for choosing search suggestions and other options, as you did for IE8—another welcome simplification. The first page you see is the "welcome to a more beautiful Web," which explains and demonstrates some of IE9's new capabilities.

Most pages displayed correctly, but occasionally I saw jumbled text, though this usually corrected itself when I scrolled down and back up on the page. This happened on a PCMag review page. And on one test machine, the browser occasionally just stopped responding, even preventing me from switching tabs. Not long after this, I encountered a "Not Responding" error, with the browser window going dim and the blue doughnut spinning. After IE9 recovered from this, I checked out typing in our Vignette content management Web app, and, as in the beta, the characters appeared with a delay after my typing—something not evidenced by Chrome...

Source