Easter Overhang, Midnight rock

markwebster

I still have a Whillans though it only sees use as a non-OSHA approved harness for roof work. I'd probably loan it out if someone wants to experience the old days, and might even be able to dig up a rack of pins and a pair of Robbins blue boots...
OW, a true Renaissance Man... :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great thread! I've always wanted o do a day of "old style" ice climbing, with wool, leatehr and wood involved. May be we should do a day of trad shoes, hexes and swami belts in Leavenworth before the snow flies.

I should be safe enough if Sobo comes along :)

Josh and I did laps on Givlers a few years ago with only a small rack of hexs. It was way fun.

What a great thread! I've always wanted o do a day of "old style" ice climbing, with wool, leatehr and wood involved. May be we should do a day of trad shoes, hexes and swami belts in Leavenworth before the snow flies.

Josh and I did laps on Givlers a few years ago with only a small rack of hexs. It was way fun.

Guy Waterman wrote about his and Henry Barber's 50th?? anniversary ascent of a classic ice route in NH (Pinnacle Gulley, Odell's gulley?) wearing period clothing and using period climbing equipment. A couple of young climbers with modern gear gave them the stink eye, apparently thinking they were stuck behind a couple of old coots, but Guy and Henry easily outpaced the 'paper tigers'.

Edited by DPS

Guy Waterman wrote about his and Henry Barber's 50th?? anniversary ascent of a classic ice route in NH (Pinnacle Gulley, Odell's gulley?) wearing period clothing and using period climbing equipment. A couple of young climbers with modern gear gave them the stink eye, apparently thinking they were stuck behind a couple of old coots, but Guy and Henry easily outpaced the 'paper tigers'.

Now that woulda been sump'n to see. A couple of old farts blowin' the doors off of some hotshot kids. :laf:

Here are a few pictures of our day at Midnight. I was accompanied by the incomparable F., or, as he is known on this board, klondike.

I shot this one from just below the roof.

easter_overhang1a.jpg

At my belay on top of Easter, we traversed 50 feet right to the top of ROTC, this is Mr. Klondike at the ROTC rap anchors.

IMG_0480.jpg

My el cap rack on the ROTC belay ledge where Mr. Klondike took a TR lap up ROTC. We were thinking about leading it, but the hour was late. ROTC is one of the loveliest cracks I've ever seen anywhere on the West Coast.

IMG_0488.jpg

The views up at Midnight are considerable prettier than Snow Creek Wall. It's one more rap (with a 70 meter rope) down to the ledge at the base of Easter Overhang. Now I just have to figure out the gps location so I can come down from the road at the top of the ridge. Back in the day, it was quite fast if you found the right trail, and a complete wash if you got lost.

IMG_0487.jpg

Well done! That would be brave to lead it with nothing over a 4.

I have this pet theory that we are born with a certain measurable amount of cohones. They don't rejuvenate, and once you use them, they are gone.

The longer you climb, the more you use up. And after 34 years of continous climbing, mine are almost gone. Hence the el cap rack I carry everywhere. Note this is just a theory...

The longer you climb, the more you use up. And after 34 years of continous climbing, mine are almost gone. Hence the el cap rack I carry everywhere. Note this is just a theory...

the theory has merits. Based on probability alone, the 1% WILL eventually catch up to you with enough time spent in the game. The 1% being that you will not be in control. If you are prepared by having the pro at your feet and everything else squared away to, then there is a long life ahead. The 1% caught up with many soloists, base jumpers and extreme alpinist where that kind of backup is not feasible.

and the mathematical way of writing it

P(death while climbing given that one has large cahones) spanning 0 to 3 years = medium but ignorance pulls one through

P(death while climbing given that one has large cahones) spanning 0 to 10 years = low enough as one has learned just enough to keep safe

P(death while climbing given that one has large cahones) spanning 0 to 34 years = high enough to second think the actions

P(death while climbing given that one has small cahones) spanning 0 to 23 years = still fucked a rappel and made off relatively easy but on a backboard

This last probability is mine.