• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Anna:

Hey Dru, noticed you capitalized "Going Down"
[laf][laf]
Is that a subliminal message or somethin'

[Wink]

If you wanna see a picture of a Seawind let me know and I will take my digital camera over to the airport next door. Those things are so rad looking.

I'll take you on anytime, baby. I can't claim to fly full scale, that's Anna's bag, but I do choose and modify airfoils for building from scratch my own much smaller, but equally fun and (a lot cheaper) flying toys and they fly quite well, thanks.

I think I know a bit of jargon boyo, can you walk the talk? why don't you give us a rundown on your understanding of the relationship between camber, thickness, CL, and moment coefficient for airfoils..... with maybe a digression on how these change with reynolds numbers and how to read a polar to determine how a given foil will behave at various angles of attack and such. Some notes on laminar flow, separation bubbles, and how to calculate the static margin of stability for an given foil and CG would be nice too.

Need any more limited jargon? [Wink]

I like airplanes of all sizes, and if that's too juvenile for you, that's your own special problem! I still want to see another cool pic.

[ 09-24-2002, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: MtnGoat ]

Oh my, I go weak in the knees for floatplanes!!!...I will be flying one someday soon-mark my words! Hell ya, post da shit! I have never seen one in real life but have seen pics.

You canadians always have sweetest aircraft. I love the CL Series Multiengines (superscoopers) that you use for firefighting (well, we use them too sometimes)

Mtngoat, you probably know more than I, since I am working on my private, me just a baby in this big world of avaition but lovin every minute of it....Fence Sitter is just givin ya a hard time, dude....tits O.K. [Razz]

Now back to memorizing my V speeds....

I thought we still used Martin Mars bombers for firefighting - you can see em over at Sproatt Lake.

The only reason I know about Seawinds is cause my uncle owns one. And he is an American and lives on the San Juans. But there is one just down the waytoo - ill shoot some pix next time I see it. the porsche of seaplanes!

I'm not sure about that, since you actually fly your own butt around you have a lot more to worry about, me, I am happy if I can knock my buddy out of action on the slope and still make it back for a hand catch without my baby eating pine bark or rocks down the cliff somewhere. I get to sit and drink and chase birds around while checking out the view, you actually have to pay attention lest you die. World of difference.

Float planes rock, I agree, my next scratch build is going to be a Grumman Goose, 30's vintage. Big fat radials with huge props, great looking plane IMO.

Congrats on your job offer, pretty sweet.

Well,you can die in a car on the highway or crossing the street with your doggie. Flying is a lot easier than you think, so I'm told by other pilots and with my limited experience....and a lot of fun too! There is nothing more thrilling than flying over the earth...what a view! Yah, there is a lot to remember, different maneuvers, checklists and shit, but you get used to it, it becomes second nature. But to each his own I say [Wink]

That was a kick ass picture! And yes, flying is statistically VERY safe.

Me, I'm bad enough at driving cars, so the last thing I need to be doing is flying a plane. Back in my Civil Air Patrol days I was too involved with ground SAR (finding downed aircraft) and less interested in flying. I was a little to aware of the consequences.

Interestingly, one of my best friends who is a VERY AGGRESSIVE driver (who was involved in several accidents that totaled the car) is now a KC-135 (Boeing 707) pilot for the Tennessee ANG. I'm sure he flies his plane a little more conservatively than he drives his car.

I should hope so! !!!

I love flying more than anything in the whole world save being in the woods or climbing a mountain [Wink] I can't seem to think about anything else lately...SK says my face lights up everytime I talk about it [big Grin] I have just been exposed to what I consider the tip of the iceberg...I've taken off and flown, did some S maneuvers but no landings yet....I get to fly again today!

I love to take chances and this is a chance of a lifetime! I don't want to fly the big commercial jets but would rather get miniscule pay to fly charters or FS contracts in Alaska, Idaho or Montana...bush flying. I have no worldly desires and money is not why I'm interested in it(hell, I don't know how I am even going to pay for training!)...just the fasination of flight, the beauty of the planet seen through eyes that appreciate it sooo much that it sometimes hurts.

If you want sometime sooo bad, love something sooo much, you can have it! I guess that is why I got that job, me new sup said that he gave it to me simply cuz I kept buggin him about wanting it soo bad. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything....not sure how I will, but you can bet that I will do everything in my power to make it happen.....