This is a test of my offensive Avatar Image

Necronomicon

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think she deliberately lied, maybe just made a mistake. but i don't know. we'll never know for certain what the students really said, i think she probably did the right thing to report what she thought she heard - better safe than sorry. but on the other hand mtn goat, are you willing to acknowledge that the students might have been talking about buying are car like they said? one inconsistancy is the woman says she heard them speak arabic - but only one of three speaks arabic (they were all born in the u.s. i think). if they lied about not speaking arabic it was a dumb one because the police could check up on it.

[ 09-18-2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Muir on Saturday ]

"i don't think she deliberately lied, maybe just made a mistake. "

I'm not sure how one mistakenly hears multiple incriminating statements! One, maybe, but a conversation?

"but i don't know. we'll never know for certain what the students really said, i think she probably did the right thing to report what she thought she heard - better safe than sorry."

I agree. They may have been messing with her but they did so in a spectacularly bad manner.

"but on the other hand mtn goat, are you willing to acknowledge that the students might have been talking about buying are car like they said?"

not particularly, but then I wasn't there. If it is a mistake, it really sucks for them, but I agree with you that it was correct to check it out.

here is the transcript of the tv interview anyway:

the whole thing

DONAHUE: What did you hear? When did you first...

STONE: Well, they began laughing and I kind of glanced over. And the gentleman with the beard, he leaned back in his chair and he put up a two thumbs up. And said, ?Wasn?t he happy. He was smiling.? And then he said something to the effect of, they were mourning 9/11, what will they think of 9/13? And I was just kind of shocked.

And I sat there and I thought, well, you know, nothing, they?re just saying what they want to say. And then they huddled together over the table, leaning in, talking, chit chatting. And I didn?t listen anymore.

And then I heard the words to the effect, from the gentleman with the beard, do we have enough to bring it down? And I thought, I?m not hearing this. And then the gentleman on the other side of the booth, sitting directly beside me, said, if we don?t have enough to bring it down, I have contacts. We will get enough to bring it down.

At that point, my mind was, I can?t believe what I?m hearing. And I thought, this may be nothing but I?m going to call someone. Because after all the reports of terrorists and the tidbits is what makes-they piece it together with tidbits, I thought, I?m going to tell.

DONAHUE: They are going to say here on this program, in just a moment, talking about the bring it down-these are medical students going to a residency assignment in Florida. First time out of school, on the job.

Worked hard, did their homework, holy cow, we?re almost doctors. Bring it down meant a car, bring a car down from Kansas City. He has a friend-do you believe them?

STONE: At this point, I really don?t know what to believe. I just couldn?t-I don?t know. It was tidbits, like I told police.

Hey thanks for that info.

Based on that info, it seems like a mistake that was bound to happen, sooner or later. I think her fear is understandable, anyone's fear regarding an attack is understandable.

My thinking with the whole "terrorist" attack thing is knowing that fear and anger are going to happen, sure, but not letting those instinctual reactive emotions make our choices for us when we respond.

Hey, MtnGoat -

The Doctor was mulling over various bits of things discussed in this thread yesterday, and had a question about your objectivistness.

As the Doctor recalls, you were doing a fine and apparently well-read job of refuting the Doctor's arguments and supporting the need for war, and the need to wage war Iraq, or at least supporting the possibility. The Doctor also recalls a few instances in which you referred to not wishing to impose your will or your parameters for a good life on others via democracy and laws.

So it occurred to DFA to wonder why you would support war, which seems to the Doctor to be the ultimate manifestation of imposing your will on someone else; by not simply negatively affecting their lifestyle , but by taking their life altogether. The Doctor does not understand how you can justify killing as a means to get ones way but not the inconvenience of something like a law you may find to be limiting.

"So it occurred to DFA to wonder why you would support war, which seems to the Doctor to be the ultimate manifestation of imposing your will on someone else;"

It's a very good question. Basically it comes down to the fact that while it it not permissible to be an initiating aggressor, once one is attacked it is permissible to defend oneself even if this means offensive actions. Now of course this can be taken any number of ways, I can only defend my implementation of it.

In this case, "imposing my will" would be the will not to die or let someone else kill me, the most basic right any living being has. That the aggressor has chosen to risk their right to same to deny mine indicates how they view my life, and I am not obligated to allow them to survive to threaten me again. No one educated person wants wanton destruction or mass death, but sometimes, unfortunately, it is necessary.

"The Doctor does not understand how you can justify killing as a means to get ones way but not the inconvenience of something like a law you may find to be limiting."

The limiting laws are not generally involving deadly physical threat, but civil acts between consenting adults and their self determination. War, like criminal assault and murder, carries with it different circumstances.

The initiator of violence is responsible for their choice of causing harm, and responsible for choosing to risk the resulting actions they have innately OK'd by making that kind of interaction their chosen one.

It's pretty simple, really. If you have a problem with me, don't buy from me, don't sell to me, don't talk to me, don't help me, don't obstruct me, just stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours. Because though I don't like it when folks don't get along, I can live with it. I don't have the right to tell someone how to live or who to like or for what reasons. I expect regular people with normal intelligence and a reasonable education to see that cooperation is it's own reward and we're better of working together than hating each other even if we disagree.

But you decide to come and kill me, hurt me, etc, all the bets are off. You have proven you do not see our coexistence as possible, proven you do not view my life as my right, and proven you are a physical danger. On each of these issues the assailant has made it clear what their choice is, of their own free will.

At that point our interaction is changed, by them, from one of mutual coexistence, to kill or be killed. I do not prefer that arena as it is wasteful of life, respect, and resources, and a source of sorrow, trouble, pain, misery, death and hurt.

[ 09-18-2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: MtnGoat ]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Here's a silly song to go with a new black thong

Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you, hee hee hee, wish you had some meat...

Bow bow bow...

Ummm... the other day I had a ricochet biscuit. A ricochet biscuit is the kind of a biscuit that's supposed to bounce back off the wall into your mouth. If it don't bounce back... you go hungry!

Bow bow bow...

Umm, umm, umm... the other day I had a cool water sandwich and a Sunday-go-to-meetin' bun...

Bow bow bow...

Hee hee hee hee... What da ya want for nothing? ... a rubber biscuit?

Bow bow bow...

Whatchootalkin'about, Willis?

"I ask what is more holier than thou than deciding *others* need to be forced to live as the proponent wants them to, by the proponents values."

"Democracy exists whereever men have choice to order their own lives, it's institution as a method to force men to change their lives because a mob says so, does not represent democracy I for one am interested in furthering."

"But until real evidence is shown that stands in court, it's all hearsay. I refuse to consider men I don't know liars until I see the actual evidence against them."

"She made no mistake, the dumbsh*ts messing with her made the mistake. Would *you* simply allow someone to go on their merry way after hearing comments like she heard? I wouldn't."

"Hypocrasy is not acting in concert with ones *own* stated values"

[Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Uncle Tricky:

I didn't realized that SHUT THE FUCK UP now came in a can. Is it "dolphin friendly"? The freeze dried variety ain't so bad--if you mix it with corned beef and hash!

"Mommy, what's for dinner?"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, dear."

Yeah, they're right on the shelf next to the can of whoop ass.

"Mommy, what's for dinner?"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, dear."

"But Mom, I wanted to open up a can of WHOOP ASS."

My offensive new avatar image agrees with Trask that this thread blows dead donkey dingus. It speaks volumes, though. Assuming that the membership of this site is an accurate cross-section of American society, we're doomed. I'm surrounded by idoits with nothing to say, and no attention span. My offensive avatar imaage and I wish that this were not the case. Death to the Infidels!

here's a new twist on an old theme

It seems that in 1960, 15 years after the end of World War II, Robert Menard, then a commander aboard the USS Constellation, took part in a meeting between U.S. Navy personnel and members of the Japanese Defense Forces. Most of the attendees at the meeting were World War II veterans. One American took the opportunity to inquire why, after Pearl Harbor--with the U.S. Pacific fleet crippled and the mainland defenses in what must have been obvious disarray--the Japanese had not simply invaded the U.S. West Coast. Menard recalled the response of the Japanese commander: "You are right," he conceded. "We did indeed know much about your preparedness. We knew that probably every second home in your country contained firearms. We knew that your country actually had state championships for private citizens shooting military rifles. We were not fools to set foot in such quicksand."

Yourself included, there, NecrOsamaBinLadenomicon?

Nothing interesting to say, indeed.

"What do you think of my offensive new avatar image? What do you think of my offensive new avatar image? What do you think of my offensive new avatar image? What do you think of my offensive new avatar image? What do you think of my offensive new avatar image? What do you think of my offensive new avatar image? What do you think of my offensive new avatar image?"

[Roll Eyes]