Tragic News

allthumbs

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe it!! Wilber is gone!?!?! Oh my god, he was such an inspiration, a man amongst men, a stellar climber. I will never forget all that he meant to me. I'll neve be able to look at an alcohol stove again without thinking of him [Frown]

Oh by the way, WHO THE FUCK IS/WAS HE?!?!?!?

I remember when I was trying to buy my first rack back in 1991. Wilbur was in the store at the time. I was asking the salesman about which brand of Hexes was better, Black Diamond Hexcentrics or some Euro knockoffs. Wilbur stepped up and broke in to our conversation. I will always remember his words of wisdom: "Will ya look at the jugs on that hot mama over there! WHOOOOOEEEEEEE" [Roll Eyes]

After a heroic winter ascent of the Haystack, I was spent. My partners had turned back early, near the interpretive site, after narrowly escaping the Cougar. I was now alone, and after the superhuman effort on the exposed buttress, I was near death. The only thing I had to keep me alive was the sealed package of Horsecock in my chest pocket. With feeble fingers I tried in vain to open that tube of life, but the lights were going dim. Suddenly the horsecock was grabbed out of my hands. With the strength of five men, Wilber tore open the package, chewed it for me, and fed me mouthful by mouthful. [HORSECOCK] I owe the man my life. You owe him your respect.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

Doug - "WHO THE FUCK IS/WAS HE?!?!?!?" You insensitive Prick; this is a time of mourning.

Greg W
[Frown]

[big Drink]
Cheers, old buddy.

Insensitive Prick?!?!? Some people just mourn differently than others "WHO THE FUCK WAS/IS HE" was more of a rhetorical quetion.

Wilbur F. Chitwood, 53, of Ashford, WA passed away today (pictured below, on left)

-

Disoriented by AMS, Chitwood reportedly filled his Coleman stove with vodka and consumed 2 quarts of denatured alcohol. SAR officials were unsure of the events following his fatal mistake; he was found with charred clothing and pants down in the shallows of Moraine lake.