Nice work, Ryland

Dr_Flash_Amazing

[Eek!] The Doctor didn't know there was famous folk here on the cc.c MB. [Eek!]

DFA read your article in the new ish of Climbing last night. Although Dr. Flash Amazing hasn't set foot in snow or on a mountain for a few years, it was thought-provoking material nonetheless. Tied in nicely with the editorial, too, which, being about sport climbing, was a bit easier to relate to. Nonetheless, it addressed the important issue of reconciling enjoyment and impact.

It's an unfortunate conundrum, really. Sit on the couch all day with Oprah, and you're a lazy chub, but your impact on the wilder parts of the world is about nil (minus consumption of resources, of course). Get out, be active, and enjoy some nature, though, and we ensure that the outdoors get as crowded as the malls and streets we're getting away from.

It's ironic how much most outdoor-sportists deride the lazy hordes that make up the bulk of America's population, and how often we suggest that they get off their asses and go do something outside, but now that Joe Sixpack has actually started doing just that, we're forced to suffer plagues of gumbies bumbling about our formerly exclusive playgrounds. Does the benefit of bringing more people into the hills and hopefully subsequently raising their awareness about the need to preserve the great outdoors outweigh the crowds and their attendant impacts? At what point will we have to stop enjoying the outdoors in order to preserve an outdoor environment worth enjoying?

Something to think about while stuck in the climbing gym, or on the stair-o-matic, or behind another snarling pack of gumbuses on the approach to the crags.

[ 09-12-2002, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I am a major gumby DFA. My guess is that some loos rock and steep ice climbing would make you one too. Don't get too high on your horse. I'm the idiot that can't crank 5.9 and 5.10 at the crags.

The fuck are you talking about, Holmes? The Doctor's contemplations had precisely jack shit to do with who climbs how hard. Sorry you got the impression that it was some type of chest-beating spray-a-thon, but it ain't.

DFA-

It's ironic how much most outdoor-sportists deride the lazy hordes that make up the bulk of America's population, and how often we suggest that they get off their asses and go do something outside, but now that Joe Sixpack has actually started doing just that, we're forced to suffer plagues of gumbies bumbling about our formerly exclusive playgrounds. Does the benefit of bringing more people into the hills and hopefully subsequently raising their awareness about the need to preserve the great outdoors outweigh the crowds and their attendant impacts? At what point will we have to stop enjoying the outdoors in order to preserve an outdoor environment worth enjoying?

Holy semantics debate!

Look; by "gumby," the Doctor is referring to an inexperienced person. Judging by most of the spritz that flies around here, DFA made the assumption that y'all were, for the most part, either experienced alpinists or at least long-time outdoorspersons. At no time did the Doctor make any claim that he wouldn't qualify as full-on green-and-malleable if presented with alpine sickness; which DFA usually makes quite clear by frequently referring to himself as a devout sport climber.

DFA makes no presumption of superiority based on time spent outdoors. It's a pretty common thing among active outdoorspeople of any discipline to slag or at least question the prevailing couch-bound ethic of the average citizen. Be they paddling, pedaling, running, running it out, or clipping bolts, whatever; it's a common sentiment.

His point, lest we lose sight of it, was more about crowded outdoor recreation spots as a result of a lot of people out recreating.

Sheesh. [Roll Eyes]

Thanks DFA. I guess I owe Dru a beer or two [big Drink][big Drink] for his comments a few months back. Anyway, I do not think I was referring to gumbies who can't climb 5.10 cracks (I don't consider that being a gumby). Hell Cavey, you get out into the thick of it much more than many of us! It doesn't matter how hard you climb, just that you are out there climbing and LEARNING new stuff. My main point in the article, and I am no writer by any means, was that there are more people out there doing instead of learning how to do. Whether it is learning from a book, a more experienced mentor, or from experience, you are taking the time to learn. Instead, my point, was that I was seeing a lot of greenhorns out there with no direction, no desire to learn, but were out there just to look cool or get a photo from the summit. Like it or not, our society is becoming more reliant on instant gratification, and my point, was that there are those out there who have moved this feeling into the realm of climbing. I am sure there will be others out there who disagree, or think I am generalizing, but there is only so much I can do as one who has never written an article and having to get my point across in less than 800 words. I haven't seen the final product as it was a spec. and the editors at Climbing had last say. Read the article and tell me what you think.

It's in the newest issue, which arrived in the Amazing household mailbox yesterday. It's got an article on icy suffering in Scotland that looks pretty good. And a full-on ego-riffic spray-o-rama trip report from Dave Graham (more spray than a lawn full of Rain Birds) and crew in Europe.

Anyway, Ryland's article about the inexperienced and uninterested user group just got DFA thinking about how much we all contribute to the mobs out there. Again, nothing to do with whether you climb 5.17f or 5.2d, ice or rocks or mountains or pebbles.

It was a post right after the accidents on Hood and Rainier, and I started the post with, "It bodes the question......" [big Grin] Remember that blunder of the English language? And then I said I was trying to send a letter to Climbing about it. Anyway, that was the project and Dru stated that whatever royalties came from it, if it ever got published, that I had to share with all of you who gave input. Anyway, I didn't take anything directly, but maybe indirectly it made me think of things from different perspectives. So beers to you all. Anyone that did chime in and lives in Eugene can hit me up at the next Pub Club. For the rest of y'all it may have to be shared Cytomax on a peak up North and beers after! Thanks everyone.