DROPZONE / FARSIDE

JosephH

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But let's be clear here, I speak for no one but myself and in no way represent anyone else, particularly and most

especially Beacon 'locals'.

ok, so your original post should then read like so:

"I, JOSEPH HEALY, SAY OF MY OWN LIFE AND CLIMBING EXPERIENCE, PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO APPROACH THE TOP OF ROUTES FROM THE ROAD / UPPER TRAIL - YES, THERE ARE SOME SLINGS ON TREES VISIBLE FROM THE TRAIL UP BY THE ROAD, BUT IT IS MY OPINION THAT BY AND LARGE THEY ARE REMNANTS OF THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT AND NOT TOP ROPES. IN GENERAL THERE ARE NO CLIFFTOP-ACCESSIBLE TOP ROPES AT DZ/FS AND THE ENTIRE AREA AT THE TOP OF THE CLIFF IS EXCEEDINGLY DANGEROUS TO APPROACH FROM ABOVE IF YOU AREN'T A VERY EXPERIENCED CLIMBER AND EVEN THEN YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT IT AND WHY YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO IT, IN MY OWN OPINION OF COURSE.

AGAIN, PLEASE TAKE THE TRAIL DOWN AND BE AWARE THIS ISN'T AN AREA WHERE YOU CAN SET UP TOP ROPES FROM ABOVE AND THERE ARE ONLY A COUPLE OF COMPLETELY BOLTED ROUTES. IF YOU ARE RELATIVELY NEW TO CLIMBING, TO CLIMBING OUTDOORS, OR TO LEADING YOU SHOULD ARRANGE TO COME WITH AN EXPERIENCED CLIMBER WHO CAN LEAD ROUTES AND ESTABLISH TOP ROPES IF SO DESIRED OR CONSIDER AN ALTERNATIVE VENUE, IN MY OWN OPINION, OF COURSE."

btw, have you found any more clay pots breaking at the tops of yer favorite climbs?

Actually, no, it's fine just the way it is, and if you took it to be anything but a warning from me to whomever might

read it I'd say that's your problem, not mine. If people didn't want the thread to be negative they simply needed

to refrain from posting negative comments, pretty simple really.

SUCKED BACK IN. FACT: KENNY THE HATE TRANE IS GOING THE WRONG DERECTION BRAH!

Kenny. If I have something to say to someone I try and say it to their face. I've had folks tell me I'm an asshole to my face cause of this bad habit of mine and I'm fine with that. So don’t you talk for Jim or for me on the Internet. Jim has something to say he can say it his own damn self. Of course there are exceptions to that like right now cause I won't be seeing you for a while. I don't and won't speak for Jim, Tim, Kevin or anyone so I'm not going to get trolled into JH's thing about them or what they are doing like his post above. Jim, Tim, You and everyfucking one else can say what the fuck you want and don't need me to be a spokesperson for them.

I do not recall not telling JH my thoughts when I have been face to face with him, and in this instance I can tell you that what I said above is on the money right. I don't want anyone falling off the top due to stupidity, mine or theirs. Joesph isn’t my friend but JH is right and correct in this instance. You don’t think so? JH knows how I feel about this and you don’t. So you go scrape up the next body. It’s not any fun dude. Pick up a couple of bodies and then we’ll talk, it’s a very serious matter to anyone with a dead loved one and I don’t want to look back on my words through the eyes of some survivors in that kind of an environment and see stupidity and snarkyness. I’m only speaking for me here. You and everyone else can and do what they want. Frankly Timetraveler cracks me up, but that kind of diatribe online isn’t for me.

As far as this area being in the guidebook disagreement Joseph wants to start. I think we might have had that discussion face to face as well, but certainly we have already disagreed on the net about it. So what is the point of saying he’s just being a selfish prick for wanting to keep it all for himself other than just to be antagonistic? Frankly, I have cliffs I’m keeping secret too so I’d just be another lip-flapping hypocrite anyway.

For myself, I believe that Jim has something down right, and it’s this: we have a duty to others. It might extend to digging out some routes, helping them learn or just being there for them if we can. Jim more than others lives this, I can’t, and it can be frustrating when you are on the way to a line you want to crank out real bad and Jim tosses out the anchor to gently, kindly and generously help some dumb ass-noob that is almost beyond help. However - it is also inspiring. I have suggested above, twice, that I hoped JH helped these noobs, cause they sounded too stupid to have helped themselves. I wasn’t there, maybe he did. Maybe he didn’t. So yeah, as you say Kenny - JH did solo a 5.9 in the dark and the cold down in Red Rocks to save some very grateful people who’d screwed the pooch. And yeah, he hiked in from the exit cause the loop road was closed being 3:30am and all. With that as a background I suspect and hope that he helped in the situation as well.

Oh, in case I wasn’t clear: don’t speak for me, ever, if I want to say something I’ll say it. In fact, I just reread what I posted above and I'm fine with it.

lotta long posts in here - can someone give me the cliff-notes? :)

i'll also accept someone coming over to my house to play nurse to my fucked up foot and feed me the medicine that will make me forget i'm blowing a 3 day adventure window :(

lotta long posts in here - can someone give me the cliff-notes? :)

Kenny is pissed.

Joesph is an asshole.

Yer gonna die.

The end.

When do you leave for the valley?

need some fresh blood in here - the characters are becoming caricatures of themselves :)

inshahallhah, ben and i leave next friday, assuming i can fight the urge to go out and bash meself in more before then - think ben's near having a stroke right about now - ha!

open invite to anyone wanting to have a party on the swiss ledges friday night - going up there w/ mike for an evenign of chuckles...

I loaned my Valley Giant to Ben last night, so you can relax and get some sleep Ivan, its all going to be ok. Well, except your foot is probably fawked, and the Farside has become to perilous to climb at, and Kenny tore Joseph a new one so he probably has 2 buttholes. but beyond that, its all good.

Also Bill, you don't like my diatribes? You've never said that to my face!! I can't believe it, what a outrage. Whats a diatribe?

I loaned my Valley Giant to Ben last night, so you can relax and get some sleep Ivan, its all going to be ok. Well, except your foot is probably fawked, and the Farside has become to perilous to climb at, and Kenny tore Joseph a new one so he probably has 2 buttholes. but beyond that, its all good.

Also Bill, you don't like my diatribes? You've never said that to my face!! I can't believe it, what a outrage. Whats a diatribe?

thought you were going to china old boy? wanna go cave crawling tomorrow or early next week?

FACT: I SHOULD HAVE STOPPED AT:

Timetraveler cracks me up

You loaned out a #9? Wow! :shock: Ben has Plaidmans #4 Big Bro too, so that's probably enough boat anchors to wear around the neck:-) Ivan - I'll send you guys Adams contact info. He's in the valley and can step up and in if you need him due to foot repair issues. He'd love to join the hunt if it presents itself.

Diatribe (newspaper column), a weekly newspaper column

Diatribe (band), an industrial rock group from the 90s

As far as this area being in the guidebook disagreement Joseph wants

to start...

One point: I'm not interested in starting anything. The guidebook is out and that

disagreement is mute at this point.

I've simply pointed out had he not included the place I wouldn't have felt compelled

to post this. Given he did include the place it should have contained a note on the parking

and, unlike Ozone where the parking is at each end rather than on top like DZ/FS, should also

have also had a explicit warning about the top hazards.

Again, done deal and posting up here and MP were the only options left. Sorry if some folks

don't like that perspective, but it is what it is.

And face to face with anyone is fine with me, as is on either end of a rope.

You loaned out a #9? Wow! :shock: Ben has Plaidmans #4 Big Bro too, so that's probably enough boat anchors to wear around the neck:-) Ivan - I'll send you guys Adams contact info. He's in the valley and can step up and in if you need him due to foot repair issues. He'd love to join the hunt if it presents itself.

think ben's been warming to the reality that i demanded he lead the hollow flake :grin:

what's adam doing down there? think old justin might be about too, hanging out w/ the missus?

i sure as hell wouldn't want to hike my kids down the w side entrance at the 'zone/side - holy shit, you could roll a long, long way down that slope :)

Walk down the road to the west till the guardrail starts, count @ 10 guardrail uprights and step over the guardrail into the trail. First 9 feet are a little steep, then it's all old man gentle the rest of the way, better than the east side.

Adam is down there tuning up for his Europee-n vacation (previews available here)

NE9Bhcabcd4Cbe_1_2.jpg

with Amy coming up soon wherein they will rent a mini-van and in a youthful lovefest of joy and happiness hit all the major climbing areas of Europe like two crazed rabbits in love. Woot!