Sole insulation for overboots?

Hi guys,

I bought some used OR overboots for Denali.. They came with insulation around the sides but there's no insulation in the sole, I'm assuming the owner took out the sole insulating pads. I'm using them with Koflach Arctic Expe boots. Do I really need insulation in the sole? If so, can I buy any sort of foam insulating material from the hardware store that I could cut to fit that would insulate enough?

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes you need the insulation on the bottom. This is quite possibly the most important insulation in boot. The crampons will transfer heat very well and make the bottom of the boot (which has little insulation also) very cold.

I would guess that you could get some durable blue sleeping pad foam and put that in once it was cut to fit. whatever goes in there should be field tested for durablility

It might be a better idea to just call OR and ask for another foam insert. Would suck if the insert either fell apart while on the mountain or if it compacted down to a point of being worthless. They must have looked at many different foams before picking the one they put in now.

those overboots are notorious for crampons coming off of them. be extra cautious when attaching your 'pons if they are a lever/bail style. Full strap models seem to work better with them.

40 Below overboots are way better.

Yep, totally agree

I think Aerogel needs to be encapsulated by something so you can't really buy a sheet of it to cut down. They do make foot beds with it but they'd be too small to cover the sole of an overboot.

I recall the sole material of my OR overboots was a white foam very similar to closed cell sleeping pad (hardman pad style) but thinner. I would just call OR and ask them and they will probably get you some. They do have great service, even if you aren't the original owner I think they'd help out for something like that. Otherwise I think finding a thin sheet of something similar would work just fine. Order a thin hardman pad from one of the ultralight backpacking co's and trim it?

Good points on the crampons with those too. I trimmed the foam on the uppers of mine right at the toe and heel bail area so step-in crampon bails didn't have to compress the foam at the welt. They held well after that but you want to make sure you get the fit dialed at home and are careful to get the toe and heel bails on correctly on the mountain.