Re-purposing soft shell pants

DPS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh,

Thanks for making the effort to view my blog and post in this forum as well.

Honestly, I have very little interest in driving up my blog hits. I am pretty ill and have found that doing little projects as well as blogging helps fill up my days.

I had an old pair of pants with multiple crampon holes in the ankles and I thought they would make good, cheap knickers. I was happy with the results and thought I would share.

Yes, I know there are companies that make knickers but for $30.00 and an old pair of pants I have the same thing.

Take care,

Dan

Thanks DPS for the blog...hope you get feeling better. I'm old school and love knickers for summer climbs. I found some Ibex Schoeller fabric ones at Value Village for $10. I also found some Cloudveil soft shell pants that have snaps to roll up the legs for instant knickers (found em at Feathered Friends)...they work great.

Or just buy knicker length pants in the first place:

http://www.realcyclist.com/cutter-tech-knickerbocker-mens

doesn't drive the blog hits though

Lets see, Dan shows how to make a pair of knickers for about $30 and some old pants and you bring up a site that sells knickers for $150! And you accuse him of posting for the intent of driving up a blog count. Really relevant. :(

Nice idea Dan. Gaiters cover up any exposed skin for snow travel too.

I like the mid shin length for a lot of stuff (slightly longer than knickers). You can see your feet on extreme rock, but you won't catch an edge or crampon, and won't die of hypothermia. The girls think they look dumb at the crags though so I prefer to wear them in the summer alpine. Another nice blog website!

Lets see, Dan shows how to make a pair of knickers for about $30 and some old pants and you bring up a site that sells knickers for $150! And you accuse him of posting for the intent of driving up a blog count. Really relevant. :(

I didn't realize this was craft project land where you spend more in materials to "make something" that you could buy for less. The pants he's "repurposing" were ~$150+ new. If you throw out perfectly god pants, I'm sorry for you, my pants last until everything falls apart. Which means they don't get repurposed for anything other than stow bags.

I like mid calf length underlayers; cut them down and sew them yourself for not much $

• 1 month later...

Revisiting this, I found a pair of Schoeller knickers at the same VV, also for $10. Looks like they were made by Coast Mountain Sports in the 80s when it still had its design arm, Coast Mountain Designs. A near copy of the cut of the wool knickers but a super thick 80's black Schoeller fabric.

Great idea Daniel. Most of us will eventuially shred the bottom of what ever alpine pants we use anyway. Mtn Hardware made (makes) a knicker length pant as well. REI had them on sale for $40 or less a pair this winter. I bought a few pair. Big boots and knickers might be old school but they still work and feel just fine :) Makes a good bush wacking pant with runners for summer use too.

163258_482644879058_621514058_5628049_3213677_n.jpg