Hood link-up

mhux

Hey I was just entertaining the notion of a southside/cooper spur linkup- climb the south side, then downclimb, traverse over, climb the cooper spur, then downclimb the south side (in a single push). Anyone ever heard of this being done/have you done it/how feasible is it? Considering you'd basically be climbing overnight to make good time, would route-finding be sketchy across the glaciers (crevasses..?) Obviously you'd need a solid weather window and good avy conditions...just thinking a long day on the mountain is in order soon...

Much appreciated

-Max

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds mostly silly - just do a carry over, climbing up the cooper spur then down the s side w/ all your overnight stuff for a cool alpine adventure - or, if you must climb the spur after the s side, at least descend the spur itself, then turn around (why waste the effort by going south, way down, around, then back up again) - it's really not that bad to down climb the spur if you take a 2nd tool and don't have a big pack

if you just want to spend a night on the mtn and climb 2 dif routes, perhaps put a camp on the upper ellito and do both the spur and the sunshine route, or a camp at illum gap and climb luetholds and reids, or the s side and one of those routes?

Or split the difference and climb Wy'East.

I think that if you were to really try to stick to your stated agenda, you'd summit via the SS, get to the base of Steele Cliff at the top of White River, look at the fucking miles of stupid and mindless sidehilling you'd need to do to get to the base of Cooper Spur, all the while watching the skiiers down below skiing lazily at Medows, and head back down to Timberline :)

Ha fair enough. I didn't realize Cooper Spur was easily downclimbed; I mostly only want to do the SS because I've never done it, and it'd probably be a good idea to know the descent route (from cooper spur). Do you guys know if devils kitchen or the black spider area are in now, those would probably beat the SS or cooper...

Because one person says "it's not that bad to downclimb the spur" doesn't mean you should gps it and go do it. That route has claimed several lives and it was commonly on the downclimb. It's probably true that for an experienced climber that downclimb, under firm conditions, is no big deal, but for a newer to even moderately experienced climber that route is long, steep, and falls end up on the elliot glacier. With that info you can access your skills, and definately be ready to call an audible on the day of if soft conditions present. Good luck with your outing!

Down Sunshine wouldnt be too bad, its far less of a slog over to Cooper Spur and the terrain is moderate, maybe just a little steep right off the top of Queens Chair. I think to make it stylish you'd climb SS, ski Sunshine, climb Cooper Spur again, then ski SS to the car? :)

Devils Kitchen HW was looking in fine shape yesterday.

Why not link up Sandy HW, downclimb Leutholds, climb the Reid HW, down climb the Old Chute, climb the Devils Kitchen HW, then down climb the Wy'east? You could even loop back across the Newton-Clark and come back up Coopers Spur and still get back to your car at Timberline. Might take a bit though.