I'm a poser

allthumbs

Hey, do any of you guys wear some of your climbing shit around town. I do...and the hootchies' really dig me. I can tell because they stare at me with obvious lust in their eyes.

I like to wear my plastic Invernos and my harness when I go cruising the malls. When I'm in Darrington or Granite Falls, I always wear my crampons and helmet in the bars; both are handy when the battle begins.

Just wondering if anyone else was cool and wearing the "shit" and talkin' the talk?

Poser, extraordinare! [Eek!]

[ 04-17-2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: trask ]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy just got back from three weeks in Japan. He kept noticing all these hip and trendy clothing stores selling climbing-name-brand chalkbags. No shoes, not harnesses, no climbing gear whatsoever. A little miffed, he goes on his way until he starts noticing peeps wearing these chalkbags all around Tokyo. Turns out they are quite the popular way to carry your cell phone and stuff... [Roll Eyes]

Now that extreme sports are oh-so-trendy the corporate advertising machine is exploiting it for all they can.

FHM: Fashion shots of women posing lingerie in a climbing gym while wearing a harness - tied in to the gear loops!

SPIN: Suburban mountaineers summiting in flip-flops and distressed denim.

REI Catalog: Those two idiots hiking along decked out head to toe in Prana clothing with a trad rack consisting of a single cam.

I think it's only going to get worse! When I was a young punk I had to skateboard at midnight and constantly be on the lookout for rent-a cops and people who wanted to beat me up. Flash forward 10 years and Tony Hawk is a millionaire, video game, and media icon. We have the X-games, Gravity Games, climbing walls in grade schools, public skate parks, the Eco Challenge, snowboarding is an Olympic sport, Tori Allen does the talk show circuit, and grandma wears North Face.

It's not reality that matters, but how it is perceived. Let's see... I would assume that, all other things being equal, a women would prefer a guy with money. Guys with money participate in extreme(ly expensive) sports. So, what is a guy to do if he wants to attract that halter top wearing, 12a trad climbing, Subaru driving hottie he saw at REI last week? Plastering the El Camino in Smith Rock stickers is sure to work, or at least a good step in the right direction! Does anyone know if The North Face sells logo patches?

[laf][Mad][hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Hey, do any of you guys wear some of your climbing shit around town.

Dunno about the rest of you but I can't afford to let my stuff wear out too quick. I tend not to wash my stuff too much either to avoid it wearing out. Chicks dig me for this alone.

As far as I can tell Oregon State issues TNF mountain jackets to all freshman at orientation and requires wearing at all times, even in classrooms. That or the TNF down jacket...you know the one...when it's 50 and raining outside. didn't go to OSU, just an old Corvallis resident.

I read the Dirtbag article on Yvon Chouinard in Outside magazine a while back and he was commenting on the people he saw on the trail packing the entire inventory of a small sporting goods store on their backs. He said people don't really need high-tech $350 rain jackets - it's just rain! Then the author of the article commented that Yvon owns a multi-billion dollar company that exists to sell said $350 rain jackets.

You would think that millionaire dirtbag would be an oxymoron, but Yvon is a living contradiction - he has managed to build an innovative and socially responsible (organic cotton, recycled fibers, environmental support, etc.) company while staying true to his dirtbag nature. Can there be such a thing as an anti-poser?

Life is balance. Truth is action.

[ 04-17-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: jkrueger ]

Money is great but who wants to be with a man who can't climb? Just owning the gear is not enough. Must use gear to impress any woman who is realy worth it. Never get involved with a woman who wont get dirty. Fast cars... whatever, bobbels...whatever, babies are good, boats...can you climb them?

can only speek for my self, but I married a poor man who climbs like a fiend, and is awsome in bed. The rest, well it's all relative, once you have the important things covered.

I like that, never get involved with a woman who won't get dirty. I can relate, right now I'm trying to ween my girlfriend away from needing kleenex in the wilderness. Farmers kleenex is the way to go. I think I still have about 4 months work to accomplish this. I'll make sure to let everyone on this board know as soon as this has been accomplished.

quote:

Originally posted by jkrueger:

Yvon Chouinard . . . has managed to build an innovative and socially responsible (organic cotton, recycled fibers, environmental support, etc.) company while staying true to his dirtbag nature.

That's a matter personal opinion.

According to the ActivistCash.com website, the Patagonia Fund's largest cash recipient in 2000 was the Ruckus Society ($30,000). I don't consider monkey-wrenching and tree-spiking "socially responsible." I'm sympathetic with many of the Ruckus Society's goals, but abhor their means. President of the Patagonia Fund: Yvon Chouinard. A poser of a different kind. BTW, "organic cotton" threatens the multi-billion dollar a year agri-business industry of the San Joaquin valley with weevil infestation.

I don't buy Patagonia goods.

That isnt a farmers kleenex that is a baseball kleenex.

Oooh, free9 organic cotton threatens agribusiness industry. So a weevil infestation will happen - that can be biocontrolled, like with ladybugs. Meanwhile non-organic cotton is the largest user of pesticides of any agricutural product per hectare ( I guess you guys use acres) and is poisoning the water table of the central Californian valleys. I'd love to see them get wiped out and be replaced by organic cotton, weevil or no weevil.

PS I cant quote stats on any of that so you can look it up on Google if you want the true #s.

I am no expert, have no stats to quote, I am no major activist... But I feel realy sad when I hear some one say that it would be "better" to purchase non-organic products. It might be more affordable, better for the non- weevel loving public, but better over all, I just can't buy that one.

we could solve the whole problem by legalizing, and replacing cotten with ORGANIC hemp grown in our beautiful north west. then those poor californians wouldn't have to worry about the bugs... me I like bugs. I like bugs that eat other bugs. I like nature. Nature is dirty, buggy, and snotty from what I hear...

[ 04-17-2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: sk ]

Dru,

Lady bugs to the rescue? You are naive. For starters, Lady bugs prefer temperatures of around 70 farhenheit which doesn't happen too often in the the valley during summer growing season.

I'm of the third generation of our family born in the San Joaquin Valley, Kern County. Our family still owns the homestead farm of my great-grandfather near the Tule Elk reserve. I don't think you'll school me on the problems of the central valley. If you want to see grown men become catatonic with fury, make your organic cotton proposal at a valley gin co-op.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

Dru,

Lady bugs to the rescue? You are naive. For starters, Lady bugs prefer temperatures of around 70 farhenheit which doesn't happen too often in the the valley during summer growing season.

I'm of the third generation of our family born in the San Joaquin Valley, Kern County. Our family still owns the homestead farm of my great-grandfather near the Tule Elk reserve. I don't think you'll school me on the problems of the central valley. If you want to see grown men become catatonic with fury, make your organic cotton proposal at a valley gin co-op.

Ya just like the Alberta ranchers when you tell em you are working to increase the range and habitat of wolves, prairie dogs, hawks and cougars. Aren't those American cotton growers getting sued for reparations by descendants of slaves now too? [sleep]

quote:

Dru,

I'm of the third generation of our family born in the San Joaquin Valley, Kern County. Our family still owns the homestead farm of my great-grandfather near the Tule Elk reserve.

Would that be around Buttonwillow by chance?

Or are your roots in one of the many fine Acres thereabouts?

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Ya just like the Alberta ranchers when you tell em you are working to increase the range and habitat of wolves, prairie dogs, hawks and cougars. QB]

Probably very similar. I don't argue with farmers about farming, and I don't tell 'em what political party I belong to.

quote:

Aren't those American cotton growers getting sued for reparations by descendants of slaves now too?
[sleep]
[/QB]

California was part of the Union. The furthest west battle occurred at Picacho peak in Arizona. Reparation tactics being used these days are in the form of tax credits. I think about a 1/4 million people claimed it last year.

quote:

California was part of the Union. The furthest west battle occurred at Picacho peak in Arizona. Reparation tactics being used these days are in the form of tax credits. I think about a 1/4 million people claimed it last year.

I think that that battle at Picachu Peak was won by the kid with the most cards... correct me if Im wrong... my personal favorite Pokemon is Evil Geller [Wink]