new BD crampon coming

Dane

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neoshell should be avialable from several manufactures this spring. Check out Westcombs stuff...it rocks! Likely summer or fall for them though. Might be worth the wait.

Difference on 'pons? Depends on what you are climbing to be honest.

I like what your blog says about horizontal front points. Would my weight (~200 lbs) be an issue with those over the long haul?

I find that even at 180 it is an issue. And it has been a wile since I have seen 180:) I like verts but only on cold hard ice or hard alpine ice.

Dane,

Any way you can give a comparison between NeoShell and GoreTex Active shell? :grin:

Vern, I may try but getting hold of Neoshell is near impossible at the moment and I'd have to find something really special to get me to cough up for the Goretex Active shell. We'll see.

Good stuff Dane. Not to go too far off-topic but in your OR show recap you pointed out the new Trango tools (that from the pictures look a bit like green Fusion knock offs). Any info on Trango's pricing for these? If they can knock off a chunk of the Fusion's price while still delivering comparable performance I'd definitely be interested in them.

Not sure Julian but had heard some where around $250 retail. They are not listed in the 2011 wholesale work book. Tools live and die by their picks. Trango's reputation on picks hasn't been that good to date. I'd still like to try them though.

P1210607.JPG

I saw the prototypes around New Years. There were some structural/design issues to be sorted out- which BD is trying to address. They really reminded me of basically a Dart with interchangeable front point and no funky heel lever. Darts were a good crampon, but the heel lever was horrid. Anyway, I know BD will sort out the issue with the attachment of the front point and it might be the next crampon to buy. However I think their Sabertooth are the best all around crampon.