Supreme Microsoft Douchery

tvashtarkatena

i learned BASIC on an epson qx-10. green monochrome. disk loaded. awesome.

i had a moonlanding game, written in BASIC, and I learned I could modify the source so that I could land at any velocity and any angle without blowing up.

haxx0rz!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course on a $1999 Macbook you are getting the exact same components as a similarly configured $600 PC - a bit of a heavy Apple tax. ]

Oh no I've been sucked in! Below we have a picture of two very nice laptops, I'd be happy with either one. The on the right is an Apple MacBook Pro, and on the left an HP Envy. Both get high marks from the pundits. Both have almost identical specs. The big difference is price, the one on left costs $1,600 whereas the Mac on the right costs $1,300. That's a bit of a heavy HP tax. :-) Ok bad example, but here's a good example from a large HMO here in Portland. These folks are savagely cheap, there is a fellow in procurement whose only job it is to buy the cheapest computers he can find, he gets a pay raise if the TCO (total cost of ownership) per machine goes down. He'd buy a toaster if it would run Office. Anyway, they are in the process of switching the entire company to Mac for the simple reason, they cost less money. But hey I'm glad Steve is getting rich, I own Apple stock. $400 in 2011 I tell you!

[img:center]http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2009/09/DSC_0263mac.JPG[/img]

Edited by eldiente

I never use Explorer cuz it blows. When Chrome fucks up, however, I resort to it.

I just clicked on the Explorer icon and was offered an endless loop pop up to install a 'Bing Bar' - plastered all over my search results...with the 'We'll track all your navigation and send you ads' box pre-clicked of course. 'No thanks' just brought the pop up back in an endless loop of fuckedupedness. I finally had to Task Manager that shit out of existence.

Is Microsoft hiring tea baggers now, cuz their shit's getting embarrassingly stupid. Or is this yet another hack?

Thanks for the opportunity to vent about something that doesn't matter to people who couldn't care less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12067295

Component-for-component (apple is still light on the full component list even in this matchup)

182328_26631_L.jpg

Price-for-price (apple is way light on components in this matchup)

182330_9433_L.jpg

And the day OSX runs on the above Dells is the day Apple stops being on the wrong end of this sledgehammer:

woman-running-with-sledgehammer.jpg

Also, Jobs has learned the content side of the business on the boards at Pixar / Disney and the company is turning utterly totalitarian, if not demonic, from that experience. Apple's explicit and implicit future plans for hardware / app / boot all speaking to their board working very, very hard at a strategy of tethering, if not outright chaining, their users to their new data centers (which are not filled with Macs) and partner CDNs. As 'evil empires' go, they're just warming up and are poised to make MS, IBM, and Starbucks look like chumps. Getting too carried away with apple idolatry is sort of like being an early Mao or Stalin fanboy. Great stuff for shareholders, though, so can't complain from that perspective.

And now that Apple is on course to surpass Exxon Mobil as the company with the highest market cap in the world there's virtually no telling what Jobs and his board have lurking in the back of their mind to go along with all that mounting cash, but as a group they are big thinkers. It's a long way to 2020, but you can bet they're thinking ahead relative to investing and simpatico interests in the representation of partner company boards.

Apple Board of Directors:

Bill Campbell / Chairman and former CEO, Intuit Corp.

Millard Drexler / Chairman and CEO, J. Crew

Albert Gore Jr. / Former Vice President of the United States

Andrea Jung / Chairman and CEO, Avon Products

Arthur D. Levinson, Ph. D. / Chairman, Genentech (former google director)

Ronald D. Sugar, Ph. D. / Former Chairman and CEO, Northrop Grumman Corporation (new, big systems and infrastructure guy)

AppleFutures.jpg

OSX has run on those systems for a long while (ever since shortly after Apple switch to the Intel chipset).

Sure it does - pop an OSX in the dvd of a Dell, install and you're set - righty mate.

its not exactly that easy, depending on the model you might need to fiddle with the drivers...but if you want to do it, and with little effort it is possible. i see hackintoshes everywhere, especially popular on cheap netbooks. RIGHT-EE O!

I CHISEL TABLETS CRUNKERS

i see hackintoshes everywhere, especially popular on cheap netbooks.

Not easy, not particularly speedy or reliable, nor legal.

yes, not easy for people who have trouble figuring out this gull dern internets. if you want speedy you aren't running a netbook. reliable....psssft, what do you know about reliability?

bsod.gif

legal??? WUT????

And as we speak - the announcement: the Mac appstore is here. Just a matter of time before you'll have to jailbreak your Macbook to do what you want with it.

"Apple today released Mac OS X 10.6.6 which which increases the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac. What's also very important in this release is the introduction of the long-awaited Mac App Store with more than 1,000 free and paid apps."

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/01/06/1534233/Mac-OS-X-1066-Introduces-App-Store?from=rss

...psssft, what do you know about reliability?

bsod.gif

Have never seen a blue screen on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 and I've been running a bunch of both for a couple of years.

My laptop running win7 bluescreens very occasionally. They've updated the text, though. :)

To be fair, though, that thing rattles around on my bike twice a day, so I'm surprised the disk still spins.

Hot off the press, the PC as we know it (Intel/MS) is dead.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/01/06/this-is-the-most-exciting-ces-ever/

And back to Apple. Here's something to ponder. The economy sucks, people are driving old cars, shopping in bulk, canceling vacations, getting a roommate, climbing on old ropes etc. However during all this nonsense, people are choosing to buy "over-priced" Apple hardware instead of a PC. Think about it, Apple has tons of competition, charges a premium price, and in a down economy has become America's largest computer company. You can't blame Apple's success on a few fan boys or some type of monopoly, Apple is building a mint the old fashioned way, by making a better product. Given the current economic environment this is nothing short of a miracle, this would be the equivalent of Porsche overtaking Toyota in the car industry. (But hey JH, the Toyota and the Porsche both have the same engine (er CPU) that's a hell of tax to pay on the Porsche, they both will get you to work at the same time)

Oh and onto the App store. Sort of big brotherish for sure. The future with Apple is making the device like a toaster; easy to use, never crashes. You give up some freedom going this route, but the experience for the end user is better. Will this piss off some folks, yep developers and people that like to run the command line are going to be hating it. The other 99% of the world is going to love it though, that's what Apple is betting on. If people don't like it, no worries at all, there are many other choices. Dell isn't going out of business just yet, although their stock price might make you think they are.

I love math! (really I do) Depends on what you mean by "large" but let's look at some of the other big players in the computer world and what they did during 2010. If we are only looking at value, Apple is currently third largest company on Earth, no not a mistype. Exxon oil and China Petro occupy the number 1 and 2 spots.

Apple. 65 billion revenue, 300 billion market cap.

Dell. 53 billion revenue 27 billion market cap.*Ouch*

Microsoft. 63 billion revenue, 238 billion market cap.

Intel. 35 billion revenue, 116 billion market cap.