Swiss Adventure Race

allthumbs

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I watched it. Seeing that kind of fatique on TV made me open up a left-over Guiness from St Patty's day and promptly fall asleep after checkpoint 23 or so. Imagine how much GU they ingested during that! I would love to do that course, but one or two courses per day, with time for wine and cheese fondue in some of those amazing huts. Did you see where some of those huts are located? They build these things way up there near the top of the Glaciers! Switzerland rules! grin.gif" border="0

I saw the last 20 minutes of it. How about the one group that didn't properly check in and had to backtrack to the previous checkpoint. It added 6 hours on to their time. That must have sucked. I think 9th place team was wearing video cameras the whole time. It would be cool to see some of the footage.

It would be interesting to compare what Bob Marshall and some of his contempoaries did to some of these races. Bob has a wilderness area named after him in Montana but he also did a lot of exploring in Alaska. On one trip he put in back to back 30 mile days with one 60 mile day at the end. All with a pack full of wool, cast iron, and bacon. No hip belt.

He died in his fifties from an overdose of bacon.

Bug,

Bob Marshall died at 38 from Bacon Overdose. I dont quite understand the adventure race thang. No aesthetic quality to the idea. A better adventure race would be:

Snow Kayak down Liberty Ridge - travel to Tacoma and wear your kolorz on Friday night. Drive thru Idaho in a Pink Volvo (someone else's idea). Blah- blah-blah