Top 100 Climbing Adventure Books!

Plaidman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how would you know it was good if you did not read it?

"no picnic on mt kenya" is another good book. a group of english POW escape a german prison camp to climb a peak that they can see from the prison. Who stuck in a office building with a view of rainier hasn't thought the same thing. Only a climber would escape a prison but not go home.

Breaking Point - Glen Randall

+1...out of print and hard to find, I read it cover to cover while sitting on the floor of the Mountaineers' Library years ago. Classic for Alaskan alpinism!

also:

-In the Shadow of Denali, Jonathan Waterman

-Enduring Patagonia, Greg Crouch

• 2 weeks later...

Tasker's Savage Arena belongs in the top 10 imho. Tasker was both talented climber and writer. I really liked Mt. Analogue, but recognize that it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. I would vote to add Escape from Lucania by Dave Roberts, which recounts the epic 1937 climb of Mt. Lucania in the St. Elias Range by Brad Washburn and Bob Bates ...as well as their subsequent 156 mile bushwack through Alaskan wilderness back to civilization.

Someone should start a northwest regional list. Nice job Plaid on this list.

Finished reading Savage Arena and On Edge (the Henry Barber story) and am finishing Nanda Devi by John Roskelley. I have Jim Bridwell's book to finish too. They are all great reads. I am really liking reading the list. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to put together the whole list. Someday we can try to whittle it down to 100 books.