Root Cellars, so [s]Hot[/s] Cool right Now

G-spotter

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about locavores is that preparing food at home consumes vastly more energy than anything else in the journey from food to table. The energy inputs from commercial production and transport are completely trivial by comparison.

Having said that - if you're willing to invest the time and money in a particular boutique food fetish - knock yourself out. There are plenty of people who will be happy to take your money in exchange for producing food that's consistent with whatever set of values and practices that you believe in.

Read white text under blog link in first post by highlighting ;) Now read responses 1 and 2. :lmao:

PREPARING food at home is efficient. It's only driving to the store to get it that is energy-inefficient. Buying in bulk and storing it is a good way to reduce travel times and hence improve efficiency.

BTW JayB I'm surprised you can call turnips, potatos, onions and rutabagas "boutique food", but if that's the filter you need to look through to justify your worldview, then thanks for letting us know.

Read white text under blog link in first post by highlighting ;) Now read responses 1 and 2. :lmao:

PREPARING food at home is efficient. It's only driving to the store to get it that is energy-inefficient. Buying in bulk and storing it is a good way to reduce travel times and hence improve efficiency.

BTW JayB I'm surprised you can call turnips, potatos, onions and rutabagas "boutique food", but if that's the filter you need to look through to justify your worldview, then thanks for letting us know.

http://alanmccrindle.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/it-is-the-cooking-method-stupid-insights-into-energy-usage-and-carbon-dioxide-production-in-the-food-production-consumption-chain/

http://www.infra.kth.se/fms/pdf/Report160.pdf

Et.....cetera.

There's a bunch of other literature out there that establish this point.

What makes a food "boutique" isn't the type of food, but the price that one is willing to pay for the particular production methods used to generate it. If you want to only eat fruit harvested by left-handed vegan pacifists who toil in rootop-veggie collective - great. I'm sure they appreciate your money.

broccoli-lc-co2.jpg

Never mind the economic aspects of keeping money in the community vs. sending it off to your favorite multi-national! Local food is for stupid hipsters, just like fixies and skinny jeans.

The argument in favor of digging for ore beneath your home and fabricating a car from metal that you smelt yourself is equally compelling. Ditto for drilling your own fillings vs sending the money out of your household by paying a dentist to do it for you, etc, etc.

Never mind the economic aspects of keeping money in the community vs. sending it off to your favorite multi-national! Local food is for stupid hipsters, just like fixies and skinny jeans.

The argument in favor of digging for ore beneath your home and fabricating a car from metal that you smelt yourself is equally compelling. Ditto for drilling your own fillings vs sending the money out of your household by paying a dentist to do it for you, etc, etc.

Why climb a mountain when others have taken pictures from the summit?

Why climb a mountain when others have taken pictures from the summit?

Yes - people are motivated to get fillings, buy pre-mixed concrete, fiberglass insulation, and camcorders for all of the intangible non-economic reasons that people....climb mountains.

Argument by Dada-analogy. Love it.

hmmm...buy locally produced food or growing a bit of lettuce in your own yard = drilling your own fillings for you. well sounds like you're convinced! interesting opinion you have there.

I grow most of my own vegetables and fertilize them with the compost from garden waste. I also use organic nitrogen fertilizer that is made locally. I notice almost no change in my water bill. This year I picked nearly 100 ears of corn, fresh lettuce and spinach for 7 months, 12 months worth of green beans, dozens of Jalapenos, dozens of Bell peppers, and 6 100 pound pumpkins (the kids wanted the giant breed for Halloween, normally we grow Cinderellas).

Store bought produce flat sucks compared to my fresh home grown veggies. Plus I find gardening relaxing.

If Jay's favored model for industrialized agriculture and the global transportation networks it depends on were capable of including the real costs (the ones it currently externalizes) of its "low, low prices", the math would look a lot different. The game's up.