uss mt hood

ivan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show was about U-869, as stated, and was also covered extremely well in Robert Kurson's book, Shadow Divers. If you have any interest in U-boats and wreck diving whatsoever, then I highly recommend this book. Captivating. I think I read it in, like, 2 or 3 days. Couldn't put it down. :tup: :tup:

That was an awesome book.

enemy at the gates was kinda lame imho, but the movie took the title from the authoritative book on stalingrad, and is well worht the read

best book i think i've read on ww2 is "the forgotten soldier" an english translation of a frenchman, guy sajer's, service in the wehrmacht - depressing as phuck.

enemy at the gates was kinda lame imho, but the movie took the title from the authoritative book on stalingrad, and is well worht the read

Oh, Ivan, - "Seventeen Moments of Spring" is my favorite movie on the WWII with the best background and documentary you can ever find.

Currently released as a 6 DVD set (circa 1973), with english subtitles!

51YSPqXBqAL._SS500_.jpg

i'm sure the two of you would get along famously, patrique, the russian and irish people being, after all, famously alike in their affection for booze, cruel sport and livestock :grin:

you're about due for a return to the bacon-wand - come do something grandiose on the south side this time and maybe i can even arrange an introduction?

Edited by ivan

The number of burly dudes still wearing their medals from The Great Patriotic War is pretty amazing, imho.

they have been soaking themselves in Nature's Own Preservative practically from their mother's tit afterall! :)

heh, the last one I met was muslim, so none of that ;)

damn did he love beef fat though. cool people, hard life

My favorite would be "Downfall"

i can't NOT want to play solitaire after frau goebells offs her whole clan, then sits down for a hand :)

more love for thin red line - what does it mean? the split second image of a baby bird dying on the ground amidst the first big battle scene is probably the best. its wierd that a man can give a shit about seeing a person die, but no, not a ittle-bitty birdie!

A little late on this, but I thought you all might enjoy this shot of my Dad next to his Jug, a couple of months before he was shot down the the first day of the Battle of the Bulge, while his flight was trying to stop tanks from taking St. Vith. He was severely burned, and wandered around in the snow for two days until he was captured by the Lufvfwaffe. His first night was in the barracks with the outfit that shot him down. The rest of the war he moved from one Lufvfwaffe hospital to another. Six times I think, mostly on foot. They treated Dad like their own pilots, but he still weighed 115 lbs when he was liberated. They also provided the best burn treatment in the world at the time. Several more operations in Menlo Park followed, at the hospital with 5000 other burn patients, where he met and married my mother after one month of courtship. They were together for 60 years.

The climbing and skiing side of Dad is that he and Everett Davidson are the first names one finds in most of the cairns in the Selkirks between Bonners Ferry and Priest Lake, including the first ascent of the Lion's Head. He and Everett started most of those cairns when they were in high school in the late 30's. Dad, a life long skier, was also one of the original board members of the non-profit that started Schweitzer Basin. He had just bought his season pass for the 53rd year in a row when he died in December of 2006.

[img:center]http://www.368thfightergroup.com/images/w-396-pace-bob.jpg[/img]