JayB

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Inceome Inequality

Do I have to google "Inceome"?

I've broken it down to In CEO Me.

Inceome: In-CEO-me - you have been consumed by a CEO. Eventually he will shit you out.

Not necessarily so. History has shown us that the vast majority of CEOs are notoriously full of shit. Bill is stuck in there! :laf:

Doesn't get much more hilarious than a labor economist under GW Bush blaming growing income inequality on the minimum wage, workers comp, unemployment insurance, and the recent healthcare bill. Are you people even trying anymore? The Manhattan Institute et al looks more and more like an Addams Family reunion every day.

addams_last_supper-550x206.jpg

Edited by prole

Thought it was "good" because the participants were generally able to state their arguments clearly, and explain the rationale behind the conclusions that they derived from the data reasonably well.

I'm sure that Ms. Furchtgott-Roths arguments will endlessly enrage progressives, but given that both the host and all of the guests took the other side of the argument, I don't think they'd be able to complain that their perspective wasn't represented.

In general, To The Point is a decent show (I am a daily listener) and I appreciate the format and diversity of viewpoints. Unfortunately, despite the important topic, none of the speakers addressed the historical causes or the political or cultural effects we're experiencing due to income inequality in a meaningful way. Offshoring, tax breaks and evasion, community incorporation, privatization, declining union membership and the effects of creating a permanent underclass received nary a mention. Pretty weak sauce.

I think it's an interesting topic that looks very different when you look at actual people as opposed to statistical abstractions like "households," or income quintiles.

The changing composition of "households" over time has a significant effect on what a metric like "household income" would look like over time, even if the distribution of incomes per worker in society were held completely static at early 1970's levels.

Ditto for the income quintiles. The fact that the top quintile of households contains more people than the bottom quintile, and that the households in the top quintile contain more than two income earners while the bottom quintile contains something like 0.6 matters quite a bit.

Then there's the fact that very few people stay in the same household income quintile for life, and tend to be in a lower quintile at the beginning and after the end of their working life than they occupy in their peak earning years. Et...cetera.

You can go on like this for quite some time. All this has been covered before ad nauseum, but I think the conversation was one that most people with an interest in the topic will find worth listening to.