Plastic Expedition Barrels?

Colin

Are any of you familiar with the round, plastic, typically blue barrels that are used by expeditions all over the Himalaya? The European expeditions often bring them there. They are very durable, water-tight, and close with a metal ring around the black, plastic lid.

Does anyone know where you can get them in the US? Anyplace in or around Seattle? Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raft guides buy olive barrels surplus from places that buy olives in bulk (grocery stores etc) ... loads of places in seattle drill a couple of holes in them, stick a faucet in and sell them as rain barrels in the spring but you ought to be able to find some with out the holes... they do smell like whatever they had in them originally though which could be an issue for bears.

Colin, if you're talking about the blue rain barrel-sized plastic drums (equivalent to the size of a standard oil drum), I've got two. I'll undercut Wayne and Kurt and offer mine for free. Nah, wait, I'll do even better. You come take them away and I'll give you $1 for each one.

These barrels held water at the house (previous owners) so I don't think they're too dirty inside. But I can't verify that. It depends on what you might need one of these for.

Thanks for all the helpful info, everyone.

Yeah, Froodish, those are basically what I'm looking for, although the shape of those ones is not ideal (by making them stackable, the volume of the barrel goes down). Thanks for the link.

Kurt, you've got one, or two? I guess they are pretty similar to the ones in Froodish's link? Nice and big?