Fragile Poster

pope

Once upon a time, Peter Puget and an unnamed poster were duking it out, slinging some serious spray, when Peter was accused of sending vicious pm's. He responded that in his entire history at cc.com, he'd only sent ONE private message.

Now, apparently this was Pope's cue to jump in and say, "Hey, Peter has sent me pm's, and he's an OK guy, and his pm's are devoid of animosity, and pregnant with insight." Unfortunately, Pope wasn't monitoring Peter's posts that day; he missed this opportunity.

Peter then sent Pope one of these "where-were-you-when-I-needed-you?-You're-a-real-nice-guy,-aren't-you?"-type messages. Pope apologized and assured Peter that, hey, he thought Peter was pretty cool and he regretted not defending Peter in the forum.

Next day, Peter, apparently deeply offended and not getting over it any time soon, sent Pope a pm scolding him for "ridiculing" Big Lou. Pope had had enough and told Peter to take a flying flip.

That's the history behind the Peter/Pope soap opera, and perhaps explains why Peter lurks around these boards, waiting for the opportunity to knock holes in Pope's logic/analysis. Chuckles.

Why do you need to know these details? Just remember, cc.com has a few patrons who take this shit quite seriously, who fancy themselves as possessing refined, locical minds, who are certain they've got a unique perspective worth hearing. Also remember, some of these guys get their feelings hurt with remarkable ease, and they don't let you forget. They remind us of how small people are capable of creating enormous significance where nobody would have guessed it exists.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope the explanation is simply you spout half truths and consistently slam whole classes of people and their motivations. How many people have been ridiculed and condemded by you and your counter parts Dwayner and Donna. As the recent postings regarding Boulder illustrate the issues you raise have serious consequences. By not raising them with an honest intention to engage in a real debate you increase tension and cause more harm than good. Erik would probably agree we disagree dramaticly on some issues but I have was respectful in my PM. You yourself have not suggested I was otherwise.

Now I regret starting this thread. I've got to be honest: Peter's posts are entertaining, and he has sent me several pm's that were entirely cordial. When he's not upset with you, he's a great guy. Prior to the events I described above, I kind of liked the guy. In truth, he only sent two pm's that were poorly received, then I asked him to never contact me again, and he complied.

And for the record, I've condemned the actions of a minority of climbers, those who trash our crags. I've certainly poked fun at others, but I wouldn't call it condemnation. I've also jumped in to "rescue" people who were getting picked on here, like the novice who was tired of being ridiculed for climbing in a gym (I reminded him that gym climbing is a lot of fun, and he's got nothing to be embarassed about); like the time a number of cc.commies were bashing T-shirt Rich. And starting today, I'm going to make it a point to say one nice thing about Peter each day. Happy, happy, happy.

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
Now I regret starting this thread. I've got to be honest: Peter's posts are entertaining, and he has sent me several pm's that were entirely cordial. When he's not upset with you, he's a great guy. Prior to the events I described above, I kind of liked the guy. In truth, he only sent two pm's that were poorly received, then I asked him to never contact me again, and he complied.

And for the record, I've condemned the actions of a minority of climbers, those who trash our crags. I've certainly poked fun at others, but I wouldn't call it condemnation. I've also jumped in to "rescue" people who were getting picked on here, like the novice who was tired of being ridiculed for climbing in a gym (I reminded him that gym climbing is a lot of fun, and he's got nothing to be embarassed about); like the time a number of cc.commies were bashing T-shirt Rich. And starting today, I'm going to make it a point to say one nice thing about Peter each day. Happy, happy, happy.

Hi Pope, did Tinkerbell sprinkle Fairy Dust on you this mornin? wink.gif" border="0

In the interests of clarification I thought I’d jump back in and add a few details that were missing from Popes little write up. Back in the days of the DDD fiasco Pope sent me an PM from out of the blue. In it he stated that he knew the evil bolters and that although he was appalled by their actions he was not going to “chop” the bolts. I thought this odd as he already declared his intention of chopping the bolts on “the Edge”. I responded to his PM with a query: “If your friend bolts something bad you won’t chop it because he is your friend but if a stranger did the same thing you would chop it?’ In his response he did not deny this confusing fact. It was here that I first learned of the fine moral fiber of the Pope. Later I sent him the two PMs mentioned in his post. In a public thread he was defending himself by flat out calling himself “a nice guy.” The person he was arguing against was not me. Silly but as a “newbie” to the web I assumed that the privacy of the PM should be respected so I took the opportunity to provide him with an example of the Pop not being a nice guy. The second PM he mentions was something to the effect of me saying:“You go climbing. You meet Lou. He is friendly. He asks how you are doing. He wishes you luck.. You get home and write a post mocking him. Yep, you’re a nice guy.” These were all written months ago.

Oddly my last comments referencing the Pope are in the recent “cowardly acts” thread. In it I am actually the third person to note Pope’s bad attitude. I am not sure who the fragile poster truly is because a simple review of Pope’s recent posts reveals I haven’t responded to him at all.

In the thread “Physically Challenging Climbs” the Cassin Ridge is mentioned as is The Chronic” at Si. This one thread captures the variety of climbing. What other sport is so diverse? The more amazing thing is that neither of these routes interests me in the slightest. (Climbing is even more diverse than those two poles) Strenuous climbing up a high mountain and hang dogging a sport route have virtually no appeal to me. Yet it is exciting to hear about Haireball’s and Sexy’s adventures. Their excitement is contagious That both such extremes can be discussed is a testament to the potential of this site. The constant “dissing of sportclimbers” (Lambone’s words) and other classes of climbers only serves to keep us from this potential. It is also clearly wrong headed so I admit I am guilty of calling bullshit to such crap. But believe me the PMs had nothing to do with it.

Hey I can’t be all bad once I even sent Cavey a topo!