• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
pms

Tent cooking

Any tips for me on ventilation? I always get sick when I try to cook inside my tent, but my partners are fine.

yeah, sometimes. i currently use the snowpeak giga power (or whatever that tiny cannister stove is called.) Usually leave the door open, and my tent has good ventilation anyway. One of these days I'm gonna make a hanging rig for it.

Cheers.

Jimbo

lots of whisperlight in the vestibule cooking but mostly non winter camping. Winters usually same device on a platform in a mid.

I'm much more likely to cook inside with a canister stove as it is much more subject to the wind, but almost always cook inside if it's winter with a good white gas rig (xgk).

That being said I don't cook inside with anything messy or stinky any other time than winter as I live in bear country. Winter cooking is always dehydro as dish cleaning is a real pain in the ass and I need the pot to keep rolling with the meltwater.

Jetboil hung from the center of tent, doors open for venting.

keeps ya comfy and the fuel lasts substantially longer

starting a white gas stove in a vestibule always freaks me out. Maybe I'm a neophyte, but those flames can get pretty high.

If I'm cooking in a tent, I use a canister stove, and preferably something like a jet boil.

When climbing and melting snow, I use the MSR Superfly hanging stove.

When backpacking and just heating up water for freeeze dried meals, I use a primus alpine micro on a folding plastic stand.

If the weather is bad, I just slightly unzip the tent door for ventalation. Otherwise its mostly open.

Have used both of these set-ups a number of times. Never had any problems.

I have cooked in tents for years, summer and winter, mostly in the vestibule, and I use the pan to shield the tent from the flares when starting up a white gas stove. No tents burnt and no carbon monoxide casulaties so far.