Liberty Ridge beta

Khartoum Wood

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends how fit and aclimitized you are but if your flatlander like me you better take 2 or 3 days. go lite on the comfort stuff but dont skimp on storm esentials fuel,gps,wind protection,goggles, ect.. may-june can get some wicked storms up above 10k. but if your fit and the forecast is good go for it

So if one was to climb the ridge in one push how long would that take or is that even possible.

Yes, it is possible and has been done in as little as 18 hours car to car, although that may not be the record.

Dan, you did the route in a day didn't you say?

-----

I doubt anyone gets up the route this Holiday Weekend. It is downright nasty outside my house right now.

The best beta for this route is to wear boots with good ankle flex so you can French Technique up the whole thing.

------

Lib Ridge is one of the most classic enjoyable alpine routes in North America.

Jens,

No, I took two days - car to car in 30 hours, with a 12 hour bivi at Thumb Rock. I have a partner who did the route car to car in under 24 hours. The 18 hours is something I heard somewhere, yet seems very reasonably given good acclimatiztion and conditions.

Dan

Dan

It might be fun to climb it in an all out push now but i think maybe it would be even better to wait till that turns to ice as a good long hard ice route is what I'm looking for.Baker head wall may be a better bet or the North Ridge on Baker.so with all this info there shouldn't be any need to use ice screws at this time of year am I correct?

Edited by Khartoum Wood

it is a good idea to take at least one screw per person up something technical. What would you do if you had to climb through a schrund? Conditions change and it is best to be like a boyscout, prepared that is.

My first up n ridge baker, we had 3 old chouinard screws which was inadequate. Coleman headwall, we had 3 and that was enough. Both in may. If there was a crack that was unpassable by walking, we would not have the gear to get through it.

given that we are having a late winter, you could probably get by without screws if you are a bad ass.