[TR] Mt Si Haystack - FA- Dull Pickels 4/1/2010

summitchaserCJB

there are ample opportunities [to rib him] available in spray.

way off topic here *sorry*, but he actually wasn't aware of 'spray's existence until a couple days ago. as a forum, at least. he's been engaging in the practice plenty unfortunately! the only posts he has in spray before then are threads that have been moved there, most likely because of his involvement. darn spray-free default on the Past 24 hours, I guess? he really has no right to complain about spray in the "public face" of the site because he's been doing it for months.

The other guy sez:

"I'm not sure that, as a newbie climber, I wouldn't have had the inclination to post something similar had I thought that I'd managed an FA. Just tone it down a few notches dude"

Bunch of us here in the same boat...easy to get excited about climbing and want our accomplishments known and acknowledged. We just didn't have the ability to reach such a BIG (and informed) audience or be vunerable to anonymous attacks for doing so bitd. :)

Any TR report is cool. Claiming FAs without some serious research or common sense is not....all in my opinion of course.

Think not? Take a look here?

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=867796

I consider myself a serious student of mountaineering history with legit FAs on all types of terrain. A couple of years later now and I still have questions on reports and FA info after talking with many who have climbed the several lines I was discussing in that thread.

Does it matter? No. All are good climbs and it is obvious I didn't do any of them first :) But I did do them..that is what is important to me.

Colin, you're getting flayed, not for the TR or the FA claim..but for your entire persona on cc.com. You might want to think about that as Kayfire and many others have suggested.

The "spray" in this thread deserves to be here I think. TRs and FAs are VALUABLE history to the climbing community and should be taken seriously.

We as climbers need to take it seriously both in posting good info and ridiculing bad.

You aren't the only one to take some heat over what others perceive as misteps. Blake H. has as well...deserved or not. Anyone that stands out will be a lightening rod for someone's angst. Buy a helmet (do your homework), be prepared to get fried (held responsible for what you say), but figure in that way you are in good company!

It was just a matter of time before this kind of response happened on a TR.

Too bad someone obviously fired up and and may be a little naive about climbing had to take the blunt of it. But....it is not the worse thing that can happen in climbing :)

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...