Camping reservation needed on Rainier??

medicsandy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there the past 5 years in a row in mid-June. Needlessly booked a climbing permit reservation the first year, learned my lesson and have never gotten/needed one since. In summary, permit - yes; reservation - no.

Edited by Bigtree

That's why I'm in the Newbie section. I'm NEW to this! Why are you feeling the need to give me shit??? Maybe you shouldn't climb this weekend & concentrate on getting laid instead. It helps me not be so crabby.

Suh-weet! :D Welcome to CCC.com - where eager inquiries are often responded to with high-handed sarcasm from self-designated "experts". Sorry - it's not you and we're not all like that.

I don't believe you need a reservation for Muir. You do need a "wilderness camping permit" however. A wilderness camp permit will not guarantee you a spot in the hut at Muir though, first come first served. You can get a wilderness permit by reservation or walk in. A wilderness camp permit is different from a "climbing pass". I'd call the park and talk to someone as this stuff changes periodically.

And oh yes sunmmitchaser - medicsandy was inquiring about Muir not a climbing permit as link shows.

summit chaser has been trying to get laid - he just too stupid and ugly for any success.

^^ BirdDog mentions "First Come First Served" for the Muir Hut. Keep in mind that once summer guiding season starts, that thing IS reserved for RMI since they bring clients up without tents. During the winter guided climbs, the groups are small enough that there will be enough room in Muir for everybody.

You can register and get your camping permit with the rangers at the new Paradise Visitor Center. It's free.

You will need to pay for a climbing pass if you intend to go above 10,000ft. The pass is $30 (per person) and is good each year until Dec31.

More useful links:

Climbing routes from paradise, including landmarks:

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/ParadiseRoutes2.pdf

Compass bearings for Muir snowfield (whiteouts happen, tracks fill in):

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/mapcompass.pdf

None of the three guiding services has any claim to the public hut at Muir - they have exclusive use of the Gombu hut only. Clients that don't fit into the Gombu stay in tents, not the public shelter. This is a condition stipulated by their concession with RNP.

^^ BirdDog mentions "First Come First Served" for the Muir Hut. Keep in mind that once summer guiding season starts, that thing IS reserved for RMI since they bring clients up without tents. During the winter guided climbs, the groups are small enough that there will be enough room in Muir for everybody.

Birddog-

"And oh yes sunmmitchaser - medicsandy was inquiring about Muir not a climbing permit as link shows."

Read this except from the link-

"40% of all camping slots are held aside for those who come to the mountain without reservations."

That link directly addressed the question about needing camping reservations.

Denalidevo you've pretty much answered my question. Hmmm..without being a smartass too! THanks! Here's all it is: My daughter and I just simply wanted to trek up to Muir and spend the night in our tent. Simple. We have been getting confused in the maze between the Park Service and our other google serches. We understand that you need a climbing permit above 10,000. We understand there are climbing companies that take over the bunks. That's fine with us. We have our tent. We just want to hike up there and spend the night. Do we need any piece of paper from anyone telling us that it's ok to be there.

Summitchaser obviously didn't take my advise on getting laid, as he's here again on a Saturday nigh.

Have you seen this info?

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/reservations-and-permits.htm

You won't need a climbing permit, but seems a wilderness permit is required regardless. You can either reserve one or take your chances getting one the day of your trip.

To reserve a permit, looks like you'll need to send in this form: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/campclimbpermitresreqformrev6_09.pdf

Edited by denalidevo

reserve spot early and have a backup plan if the weather is fowl. Late june is fairly good but it is a long flight from ohio. You should ask for good alternatives here too.

I'll throw out one.

esmeralda basin below ingals peak is very nice.

sorry about mr summitchasingcjb-poopyhead. :)

summitchaserCJB:

perhaps layton shouldn't be here either since he lives in utah??

seriously why be such a dick to medicsandy, esp. in the newbies section? from reading other threads I can tell you medicsandy was out here last year and on Adams and really took to being up on a volcano (which you can't do in Ohio (provided for your clarification)). They are looking to come back out here again this or next summer to climb Adams and check out some other stuff (ie: going to muir).

i'm going to have to 2nd the getting laid comment.

Nice newbie flame war. medicsandy, I sent you an email that I hope clarifies things a bit. I'd also second the suggestion to call the Park Service, tell them what you want to do and see what they recommend. Happy trails. :)