Snowpack

Pete_H

BPA officials say the reduced estimates reflect an El Niño weather pattern that has brought unusually dry and warm winter conditions to the Northwest. The runoff is now forecast to be about 74 percent of the 30-year average, and the lowest since 2001.

This doesn't seem right. I think there's a lot more snow up high this year than BPA thinks, even if its pretty sparse at pass level. And its definitly not as bad as 04/05.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Outlook

By this date, generally about one-half of the BC snowpack has accumulated. This first snow survey bulletin for the year is based on limited data, and more data will be available in subsequent surveys. Conditions as of January 1st do not indicate significant potential for flood or drought risk. However, given the drought conditions this past summer for the south central interior (Thompson, Okanagan, Nicola, Similkameen, Kettle, and others), an above normal snowpack by April 1st will be needed to replenish the diminished groundwater, lake and reservoir storage in those regions.

BPA officials say the reduced estimates reflect an El Niño weather pattern that has brought unusually dry and warm winter conditions to the Northwest. The runoff is now forecast to be about 74 percent of the 30-year average, and the lowest since 2001.

This doesn't seem right. I think there's a lot more snow up high this year than BPA thinks, even if its pretty sparse at pass level. And its definitly not as bad as 04/05.

I suppose that it is entirely area specific. They are probably talking "ON AVERAGE" in the Columbia River basin no doubt. I actually saw a map recently where there was a spot near Seattle, probably the Olympics which was more than average. About everything else in the Pac NW looked to be much lower with an exception here or there.

The area I finally was able to get into in July 4th last year had well over 20 feet of snow at this time and right now the road is almost bare. This week last year the governor had called out the national guard to undig Idana, which right now is snowless.

This road was closed with the camera, 20' up a pole, buried in snow at this time last year. 2010_02_09_US20atTombstone.jpg

Here's a monitored snowpack link for Oregon if anyone is interested in such things. http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=OR

that estimate is for flow past the dalles dam and includes mid/upper columbia and snake river basins. here is info that describes subbasin differences http://www.cbbulletin.com/375793.aspx from 2/5/10.

the majority of spring runoff comes from below 7k elevation. snow depth may be less but the area is much greater. geek out here http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snow.cgi