[TR] BaconRawk - Ze Norseman's Noggin 1/23/2010

ivan

Trip: BaconRawk - Ze Norseman's Noggin

Date: 1/23/2010

Trip Report:

holy sweet fucking jesus in a jumpsuit! seems like its been months since i've been out to the bacon-wand and it hasn't been fuck-all awful - today was a salve for my slave-adled soul - not a breath of wind - warm, warm sun - rock supporating with run-off from the endless rains - the mist-bands passed by late morning

rapped into big ledge w/ kyle - falcons seem likely to nest there again this year as they greeted us on arrival, regarded as cooly for a few moments before flapping off to fornicate somewhere - we get 1 more weekend yet you avian-ass-pains! they didn't appear to have set up shop for the off-season yet.

linked the first 2 pitches off big ledge but didn't take on the 3rd to the slum-it as it was too wet and i've yet to do it even when its dry - i'd done forgot how fun the "bolt-ladder" part is, with its multiple mandated hook moves n' beaks - pin stacks and rust-sweating bongs from the carter administration add to the ambiance - a distinct valley feel to the whole route - a 50 meter pitch w/ wild exposure and steeeeeep

a few feet up, kyle w/ anal implant recently installed

wulf1a.JPG

it could be the valley, right? :)

wulf1.JPG

is kyle channeling the joker?

wulf3.JPG

great place to take pix - could get sick shots of a leader on dastardly while dangling there

wulf2.JPG

shit-eating grin 6.0

wulf4.JPG

and suddenly so serious...

wulf5.JPG

reach like a big boy!

wulf7.JPG

he doesn't look like he teaches special-ed, does he?

wulf6.JPG

to infinity and beyond!

wulf8.JPG

above the norseman's helmet

wulf9.JPG

yuppie time on big ledge - larry bitch-left by jim for being tardy - plans to shoot down the wall for The Big Hang-Out - then i gotta get to p-town and help mis amigos to move their shit about

wulf91.JPG

everyone had that shine 2day - musta been the miserable weather :)

wulf93.JPG

joe savaged that yellow mastercam that had been stranded on little wing for the past year - turns out there ain't much a sawzall can't destroy - think rei could be convinced to make good?

wulf92.JPG

can't believe this was damn near the last hurray till july for the south side - spring was on the move today - every tree and branch swelling - fuuuuuck!

Gear Notes:

purple tcu critical, big hook, triple hook, bird beak

Approach Notes:

touron trail to the first turn-out!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's sane as an aid route - c2 (if lightly tapped in beaks count as clean :) ) - i can't fanthom freeing it but i'm sure you woulda styled it in your prime wayne - .11+ free i think

the 2nd part, the bolt ladder above the hanging anchor, is funky - most bolts are 1/4 inchers w/ frail hangers, including several of the old pop-top types, but there's 2 newer bolts that make it so you probably wouldn't fall more than 20 feet if it all goes bad - would require a lot of pre-cleaning to free as its in super-deep, super-crusty lichen n' moss land - very fun for a ladder as you have to use 3 hook moves and a beak to link the bolts

timewise...uh...lesse...listened to all my tunes alpabetically between B and D, so that ain't too long is it? :)

I've seen all you guys free climb and you all could be way solid at it - if you wanted to - but the aid thing is kind of cool on it's own, and yes, in part because of all the cool, less traveled parts of Beacon you've been hitting. I go back and forth between the cool and slacker view of it.

Edit: and not that what I think should matter fuck all with the loads of fun you are so OCD about.

Edited by JosephH

Thanks for the patient Belay Kyle.

Thanks for the pics Wes, nice to meet you out there yesterday. Unfortunately, *cough* all the pics of me hang-dog'n were blurry *cough*.

BTW, I left a stuck BD nut (gold I think, w/black & yellow tape markings) about half-way up Windsurfer. I could not get it out when I was cleaning on rap and it was getting dark. I was hoping to get it today but decided it is a bit too wet for my candy-ass. I don't want my make-up to run or get my panties wet! An icy cold brew of your choosing if you help it find it's way back to me.

Windsurfer_January_2010_smaller_12.jpg

Windsurfer_January_2010_smaller_4.jpg

Windsurfer_January_2010_smaller_5.jpg

Windsurfer_January_2010_smaller_8.jpg

Got out of there just in time this morning. Started pouring as soon as I got to the duck blind but perfectly dry up till then.

Looks like we'll be on a Bacon-free diet for the next 7 months... :(

I've seen all you guys free climb and you all could be way solid at it - if you wanted to - but the aid thing is kind of cool on it's own, and yes, in part because of all the cool, less traveled parts of Beacon you've been hitting. I go back and forth between the cool and slacker view of it.

Edit: and not that what I think should matter fuck all with the loads of fun you are so OCD about.

Ivan is half-off his rocker but he does manage to get plenty of vertical mileage... Rain or shine, that crazy mo-fo is get'n after it.

hey pink, have you climbed that final pitch to the summit of the norseman? looks very exciting and had 1 newish bolt that i could see - looked like much mandatory free- wasn't interested in choss-wrestling in the slime and i didn't want kyle to see me sweat niether! :)

naw, now it's time fo the truly disgusting grovelling on the n side!
I'm a-scared of poison oak.

it's only bad on the last pitch, andt here of course its 100% unavoidable - in winter you got plenty of clothes on so it doesn't matter much anyhow - i've never gotten zapped bad on that side, and i'm plenty reactive to it - the greater problem on the n is that, save seige tactics, nothing is climbalbe in the rain, or even days after rain - we gotta start getting some climbs over there that are more all-weather, which'll require plenty of bolts, or at least rivets

i've never been up there before... how's ur assortment of hooks?

holy shit, something niether u nor wayne have done? guess i'm gonna have 2 get good n' drunk 2night! :)

i'm a dipshit when it comes to hooks (or anything else really) - can't seem to recollect the names of any of them, save my boy mike's ibis hook , mostly 'cuz that one's so goddamn aggro-big it frightens me to carry it on lead, like i'm gonna fall w/ it and it's gonna end up 4 inches deep in my chest cavity! :) anyhow, i got bd's basic assortment i reckon - only carry 2 of them w/ regualrity - need to get some bigger cam hooks, the only 1 i have has yet to succesfully hold my weight!