what will the angry right do with their mandate?

Hugh Conway

woulda been one of the greats if it wasn't for that raggedy ass little third rate country and his crippling fear of the frak'n republicans labeling him n' his party pussies :)

That's BS. Between FDR, Truman, and JFK--and LBJ's own hawkish FP and brutish behavior--I don't think too many folks were worried at the time that he or the Dems were pussies.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weren't the dem's accused of "losing china", of not being forceful enough in fighting global communism ('speically cuba) - however irrational, wasn't lbj completly paranoid that america would turn to goldwater if he didn't handle vietnam right?

leave out vietnam and lbj's civil rights work, medicare, medicaid, pbs, war on poverty, great society, yadda, yadda, yadda (not to mention the greatest landslide in modern electoral history) and how does he not rate well? his pursuit of irrational war is the classic example of how a single flaw can fuck up every other good thing you got.

True enough. Did Gingrich worry about not ramming shit through for the "Contract" in '94? Sack up, Dems. How the minority party feels is (mostly) irrelevant.

Wow, KK cheering on the Democrats!?! Next thing you know, Fairweather is going to agree on something with Prole and j_b.

I'm leaning toward j_b/Prole on tighter banking controls too.

OMG! :shock:

weren't the dem's accused of "losing china", of not being forceful enough in fighting global communism ('speically cuba) - however irrational, wasn't lbj completly paranoid that america would turn to goldwater if he didn't handle vietnam right?

leave out vietnam and lbj's civil rights work, medicare, medicaid, pbs, war on poverty, great society, yadda, yadda, yadda (not to mention the greatest landslide in modern electoral history) and how does he not rate well? his pursuit of irrational war is the classic example of how a single flaw can fuck up every other good thing you got.

55,000 dead Americans hardly rates as a single flaw. At least he had the decency to step aside in '68. Now that was honorable.

The Vietnam era, which, from a US perspective, spanned from 48, when Ho send Truman a letter asking for his diplomatic help in establishing independence from France, to 75, involved a few more presidents than Johnson.

Regarding the original issue, I just presented some considerations to think about. The ACLU, for example, doesn't endorse or contribute to any political candidates, but it does contribute to and solicit donations for referendums and other electoral campaigns, mostly recently R71. Poorly written and enacted statutory restrictions on this type of political speech could potentially hobble such efforts.

In the end, campaign contributions are a band aid issue that doesn't really address the more fundamental question of why the electorate makes such poor choices in the first place.

I don't know that much about the issue, and therefore remain undecided, choosing instead to focus on other issues the I think are more important, interesting, and resolvable.

Plus, I'm not even sure I'm posting in the right thread.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The Vietnam era, which, from a US perspective, spanned from 48, when Ho send Truman a letter asking for his diplomatic help in establishing independence from France, to 75, involved a few more presidents than Johnson.

You can go back even farther. Then-ambassador Ho Chi Min (Quoc) asked to meet with Woodrow Wilson when they both attended Versailles in 1919. Wilson--racist that he was--refused.

55,000 dead Americans hardly rates as a single flaw. At least he had the decency to step aside in '68. Now that was honorable.

it probably helped that he wasn't feeling so hawt - if he had stayed (and against all odds won) a second term, and if he had still died on the same date, he woulda croaked on the day of the next guy's inauguration :)

lbj is to me the arche-type shakespearean tragic figure - macbeth, hamlet, king lear - the don't have shit on johnson