Your best food for climbing.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to eat so little. I carry half my weaight in food and at the end of my trip, im left with very little. My climbing partner and i always keep a Luna Bar in our packs just to see how desperate we get as a little bet. We were on Stuart and I was low on food that didnt need to be cooked, we towards the end of an 20 hour day and i still didnt eat that thing!

Edited by RokIzGud

Kit Kats (waffery and don't freeze in winter), Almond Joy/Mounds (I love coconut/chocolate combo and the ridiculous amount of oil makes it hard to freeze in the winter), other assorted candy bars, some Gu when the candy runs out. Can find the candy bars for $.42/each, which makes it a lot cheaper than the energy bars I used to carry.

lately i have found that fried chicken strips like you get at fred meyer, thriftway, gas stations..etc work really well. They don't freeze (or didn't seem to, to me, after being on hood during that cold spell in my pack for 9 hours with no higher temp than 8 degrees out), they're really tasty, im always eager to eat them even when other things don't call me.

not sure if the nutrition is functional..the breading definitely gives some carbs and fat.

My secret to sending is to eat McDonalds before going to try anything hard. Oh, and taking a dump and piss to make myself lighter, and to hold my farts because the gas makes my lighter.

Okay, I honestly find eating a shit load of pasta the night before gives you more energy, and to drink a lot before a hard day...

Edited by marc_leclerc

Mike & Ikes and peanut M&Ms are my fuels of choice for climbing, along with the obligatory GUs/ClifShots. Dried apricots are another favorite of mine, and I like wasabi peas too. It's taken a lot of trial and error to figure out which foods I find palatable when I'm stretched out and not feeling too great.

• 4 weeks later...