Question for Guitar Players

Choada_Boy

I'm looking for a new effect(s) pedal(s) to add to my pedal board. I'd like to augment/enhance/mutilate my sound (continents colliding and subducting, sheets of steel being raped by power hammers, etc) and I'm looking for suggestions.

My current rig includes: Pro-Co Rat Distortion ==> Modded MXR Blue Box ==> MXR EVH Flanger ==> MXR Phase 90 ==> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay ==> MXR KFK EQ

Any thoughts on this issues would be appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What guitar and amp? A 7 string or baritone guitar can bring the heavy. As much as I hate active pickups they can be good for super compressed over the top distortion. They overpower any tone from the guitar though.

The biggest mutilators I can think of are:

Digitech Whammy

Whah

EH Frequency Analyzer

EH POG (poly octave generator)

Any of the EH synths and octaves for that matter

Any of the Moogerfoogers (Ring Modulator, MuRF etc)

Envelope filter/autowhah

More distortion:

Fender Blender or Big Muff

Foxx Tone Machine

Green Ringer (octave up and has some ring modulator like qualities with more than 2 notes; needs a compressor in front of it)

A good compressor can bring the best out of some of these effects or kill them depending.

Or you could just get a POD.

I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul into a Marshall VS265. I replaced the standard p.u.s with Seymour Duncan Invaders and had a bone nut installed, so it plays really well. My amp isn't giving me the tone I'm looking for. I'm planning on getting a Marshall JCM 800 and either an Avatar or Earcandy 2x12 cab.

I sold my Metal Zone, sounded like bees in a can.

I bet that with a closed back cab with Celestions you'll be most of the way to the JCM 800 sound. It's amazing how much the cab and speakers change the tone and response and it's usually overlooked. Open back combos can't do metal especially with tubes.

The metal zone probably sounds completely different going into a tube first stage and a closed back cab.

I have all the parts to convert my head into a JCM 800. Just haven't gotten around to it. The big plan was to make a switchable Bassman clean and 800 dirty.

I can thrash but I can't shred.

I play de-tuned a full tone, and sometimes Drop C. Heavy.

I've been working on textural soundscapes, both resonant and discordant. I got a midi keyboard for my Mac and made "drones" in Reason, say in the key of Dm, which I then play over. Gets pretty trippy.

I can thrash but I can't shred.

I play de-tuned a full tone, and sometimes Drop C. Heavy.

I've been working on textural soundscapes, both resonant and discordant. I got a midi keyboard for my Mac and made "drones" in Reason, say in the key of Dm, which I then play over. Gets pretty trippy.

sounds ala Earth or Sunno))))....