Who punched who?

glassgowkiss

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Things came to a head in 1988 when Bachar discovered that a ground-up project of his on Cottage Dome had been rappel bolted, and that Kauk's car was in the parking lot. In retaliation he chopped a route on Arch Rock that had been rap bolted by Kauk and Mark Chapman.

An angry Kauk and Chapman confronted Bachar in the Camp 4 parking lot. Kauk says he walked up to Bachar and said, "What gives you the right to take someone's route out?"

Bachar says that Kauk threw a punch, but pulled back at the last second, his fist waving in the air.

"I didn't flinch," says Bachar.

Kauk says he did not throw a punch, even a pulled one, and that he simply walked off despite Bachar yelling, "Why don't you hit me, why don't you hit me?" egging him on.

Chapman then stepped up and told Bachar that he would "kick your ass" if he ever chopped his bolts again. Bachar replied that there was no point in waiting and to, "Go ahead and punch me."

"I was shocked," says Chapman, "and when he said it again a switch just went off and I hit him."

The punch landed on Bachar's neck. "My left arm went numb and I went to the hospital," he says.

Bachar pressed charges and Chapman was arrested for assault."

source