• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Doug_Hutchinson

Source for approach skis?

Anyone know any shops in the pacific northwest that stock approach skis (aka firn skis, aka figls, aka AT skis about 130cm)? I am looking for real, waxable skis to use with my plastic climbing boots.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hutchinson:

Anyone know any shops in the pacific northwest that stock approach skis (aka firn skis, aka figls, aka AT skis about 130cm)? I am looking for real, waxable skis to use with my plastic climbing boots.

Try MEC in Vancouver. They don't ship skis over the border though, I don't think. [Frown] Have a look at what they got here: Approach skis at MEC

Of the MEC options shown, the Karhu one looks like a going up model only (skins permanently attached). They are wider for more floatation too. The Hagan might be more versatile, particularly if you wanted to ski down.

You might find other options from Alpine ski companies that sell what the industry is calling skiboards. I'm sure there are others, but I think I've seen Salomon with such an item.

I would check out ski swaps or just buy a used pair of shorter boards. I just picked up a brand new pair of shaped Hart's 160cm for $100 at the local ski swap. Planning on putting on some Silveretta 500s for approaches and then can ski down.

I've concidered this too and when I get some $$, I'm gonna buy a pair of children's skiis, and screw my silvretta 303's to em. For goin' up only. I'll go down in em, but I fall on my face in the best of skiis so why bother?

I would check around and look for a beginner to novice/intermidate ski. This will give you tons of felxablity and make it really really easy to turn so those that can ski can use them with mountainerring boots. The only problem is in icy conditions..... yeah right they will not ski. and Beginner skis are all over the place. Cheep. 100bucks...

I've seen Rossi Rebel Kid's skis in 120cm -> 150cm lengths on sale for $80, brand new. I was seriously considering getting a pair of kiddie skis for an approach option.