Beacon

kevbone

If you had to choose one climb to climb at Beacon that you could always climb. What would it be?

Depends on the definition of "could". I wish I "could" always fire Dods and Blood Sweat and Smears. However, last year, (year b4?) I fell and hung for the first time in my life on Blownout, due to being old and weak, right at the top going direct....so I'd like to be able to always be able to climb Dods, cause then I could also always get up Blownout and Young Warriors in good style......

Theres nothing wrong with the first pitch of Young Warriors, its that second scabby pitch I personally don't like but the upper pitches more then make up for it.

I find the first pitch of YW completely unmemorable and consider the second pitch as all but defining the lower half of route.

I don't know, climbing on scary flakes is not MY favorite thing and clipping that bolt way off to the side before you get to the flakes is awkward. I like the second part of the second pitch where as soon as you get a jam in the crack above the bhole you're golden because those are some sweet jams up thru there.

and then its time to break out the stoppers...

I undercling at the top of the BH with my left hand, move my feet up and just tag the horizontal halfway up with my right hand. I thing bring my left hand up next to my right, and my left foot out about two feet left of my hands and then just stand up. I then layback slightly off the upper crack with my right hand and tag the top with my left hand. the whole thing is basically a three move seqence.

One time I didn't tape my hands to do Blownout, so part way up I started laybacking as it hurt so much. I was so "blownout" by the time I topped out I thought i was going to puke. Laybacking Blwonout=not fun, jamming Blownout=very very nice. Your favorite climb Joseph, Free for All, you jam when you climb it correct? what do you have against jamming? Did someone jam you in a corner as a child, whats up with that?

If you don't jam, then we are going to have to start calling you a "Sport Climber". :)

Edited by stevetimetravlr

I would find Blownout brutally hard and undoable if I had to jam it. As it is, it's more of a romp not doing much in the way of jamming other than some slight and fairly transitory ones. I do very little jamming on FFA as well - it's definitely a lieback exercise and romp. I do no jams on the pitch of Dods above FFA to the tree and like two jams starting the crux to get into a lieback. In general, I find jamming painful, rote, and unaesthetic and don't care much for climbs that require more than a smattering of it.

I do like watching Bill do Blackberry Jam, however.