never rob a ninja

t_rutl

side note, i saw a psychologist's study some years ago about people's behaviors in parking lots - he found that, on average, drivers take almost twice as long to vacate a parking space when another car is waiting to take the spot - his theory is that the caveman brain was at work in that situation, and that having staked a claim to object, the caveman was hesitant to relinquish it w/o a show of strength :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we have the Saudi Arabian and the Caveman perspective... Anybody want to try for something later than the 8th century?

you're such a fucking pussy

wait, i thought he was an evil communist who wanted to kill all the honest red-blooded americans in their sleep? :P

So now we have the Saudi Arabian and the Caveman perspective... Anybody want to try for something later than the 8th century?

evolution is reaaaaaal slow, esse - it will be thousands of years before the instinct to kill trespassers goes away - some of us evolve slower than others i'll warrant - congrats on ascending to the 9th level of nirvana already! :)

Be sure to let us know when you ascend to the level beyond Reader's Digest-style bio-determinism. Though I'm sure the kids love being able justify each and every one of their "shit where they eat" social behaviors on such "solid" scientific foundations.

evolution is reaaaaaal slow, esse - it will be thousands of years before the instinct to kill trespassers goes away - some of us evolve slower than others i'll warrant - congrats on ascending to the 9th level of nirvana already! :)

Be sure to let us know when you ascend to the level beyond Reader's Digest-style bio-determinism. Though I'm sure the kids love being able justify each and every one of their "shit where they eat" social behaviors on such "solid" scientific foundations.

hey, great, you've got it all figured out - i'm sure the rest of the world is right behind you.

here's a fun extract from the ancient laws of rome, the "12 Tables" - this is table 2, law 4:

"Where anyone commits a theft by night, and having been caught in the act is killed, he is legally killed"

i'll check, but i'm pretty sure our american legal code has some slight basis in the roman - reckon that evolution has some room to grow :)

law 6 we have outgrown, (kinda):

"If anyone commits a theft during the day, and is caught in the act, he shall be scourged, and given up as a slave to the person against whom the theft was committed. If he who perpetrated the theft is a slave, he shall be beaten with rods and hurled from the Tarpeian Rock. If he is under the age of puberty, the Prætor shall decide whether he shall be scourged, and surrendered by way of reparation for the injury."

law 7 does attempt to introduce the niceties of the modern world, that you can't just kill 8-ball in your house unless you were threatened, and only after you've attempted to get help:

"When any persons commit a theft during the day and in the light, whether they be freemen or slaves, of full age or minors, and attempt to defend themselves with weapons, or with any kind of implements; and the party against whom the violence is committed raises the cry of thief, and calls upon other persons, if any are present, to come to his assistance; and this is done, and the thieves are killed by him in the defence of his person and property, it is legal, and no liability attaches to the homicide."

seriously, watch tv for more than 10 minutes, read a paper, take a stroll through the mall - do you really think we've quit being romans? that the romans themselves had really quit being cavemen? why you so down on the cavemen to begin w/, eh?

hey, great, you've got it all figured out - i'm sure the rest of the world is right behind you.

here's a fun extract from the ancient laws of rome, the "12 Tables" - this is table 2, law 4:

"Where anyone commits a theft by night, and having been caught in the act is killed, he is legally killed"

i'll check, but i'm pretty sure our american legal code has some slight basis in the roman - reckon that evolution has some room to grow :)

law 6 we have outgrown, (kinda):

"If anyone commits a theft during the day, and is caught in the act, he shall be scourged, and given up as a slave to the person against whom the theft was committed. If he who perpetrated the theft is a slave, he shall be beaten with rods and hurled from the Tarpeian Rock. If he is under the age of puberty, the Prætor shall decide whether he shall be scourged, and surrendered by way of reparation for the injury."

law 7 does attempt to introduce the niceties of the modern world, that you can't just kill 8-ball in your house unless you were threatened, and only after you've attempted to get help:

"When any persons commit a theft during the day and in the light, whether they be freemen or slaves, of full age or minors, and attempt to defend themselves with weapons, or with any kind of implements; and the party against whom the violence is committed raises the cry of thief, and calls upon other persons, if any are present, to come to his assistance; and this is done, and the thieves are killed by him in the defence of his person and property, it is legal, and no liability attaches to the homicide."

seriously, watch tv for more than 10 minutes, read a paper, take a stroll through the mall - do you really think we've quit being romans? that the romans themselves had really quit being cavemen? why you so down on the cavemen to begin w/, eh?

you're one messed up dude, Ivan, but I have to admire the erudition (here, the term is apropos ;-) )

That said, should not a victim of theft have the right to detain his assailant for proesecution for said crime? Should the assailant aggress against our victim in victim's own home, does the victim have a duty to retreat in his own home, or may he stand his ground and defend his / herself?

If some crackhead comes into my house I'm going to fuck his shit up with a samurai sword, ice tool or whatever weapon I may have handy.

If some crackhead comes into my house I'm going to fuck his shit up with a samurai sword, ice tool or whatever weapon I may have handy.

I never argued against this. I think:

1. The guy with the sword was never threatened. He had some shit stolen earlier, heard somebody in his garage and was going to teach somebody a lesson, crept out, cornered the crackhead, chopped him up, and plead self-defense. Instant internet hero for the mildly retarded Dirty Harry-types.

2. This punishment does not fit the crime and that to suggest that "this guy had it coming" regardless of circumstances is kinda fucked.

3. Public executions, support for them, or the increased use of them are signs of a stagnant society, or in this case, a society in decline.

I never argued against this. I think:

1. The guy with the sword was never threatened. He had some shit stolen earlier, heard somebody in his garage and was going to teach somebody a lesson, crept out, cornered the crackhead, chopped him up, and plead self-defense. Instant internet hero for the mildly retarded Dirty Harry-types.

2. This punishment does not fit the crime and that to suggest that "this guy had it coming" regardless of circumstances is kinda fucked.

3. Public executions, support for them, or the increased use of them are signs of a stagnant society, or in this case, a society in decline.

for pts 1-3 i have but this to say:

[video:youtube]

This one obviously turns on the facts. The article did say the thief attempted to attack the occupant of the home. The occupants didn't just corner the dude and chop him up.

You argue this is a case of vigilante justice, but let us remember this happened in the fellow's home. Do we not have a right to defend ourselves and our property in our own castle? Or must we just bend over and grab our ankles whenever an agressor intrudes into our home to assault us?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-sword-killing0917,0,16472.story

New details emerge on events that led to samurai sword killing

Johns Hopkins University police had alerted a student and his roommates to the possibility that there was a suspicious person lurking around their home and canvassed the area with the students before one of them killed an intruder with a samurai sword, Baltimore police disclosed late Wednesday.

Police also confirmed that the Tuesday morning encounter did not take place inside of a garage but outside, after the man lunged at the sword-wielding student.

The new details shed more light on the circumstances that led up to the death of Donald D. Rice, 49, a repeat offender who had been released from jail over the weekend. Police and prosecutors are considering whether to charge student John Pontolillo of Wall, N.J., after he killed Rice with a slice from the sword.

Police initially said that Pontolillo's room had been burglarized earlier Monday night, with someone stealing an Xbox 360 and a video game, and that Pontolillo later heard a noise, grabbed the sword and went to investigate.

But city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said that Johns Hopkins University police and an off-duty officer working in a secondary capacity were called to the 300 block of E. University Parkway to investigate a report from one of Pontolillo's neighbors about a suspicious person spotted in a back yard.

The officers knocked on Pontolillo's door, where Pontolillo informed them of the earlier burglary, which occurred between 8 and 9 p.m., according to a police report of the incident. The housemates and the officers canvassed the area around the house and didn't find anything unusual, Guglielmi said.

After the officers left, the housemates decided to check the area again, with Pontolillo grabbing the sword, Guglielmi said. As Pontolillo checked an outside yard area after 1 a.m., he noticed Rice crouched in a corner, Guglielmi said. He told the man not to move, and yelled for his roommates to call police, according to Guglielmi.

Pontolillo was not inside the garage but backed up against the exterior of a garage door when Rice is alleged to have aggressively moved toward him with his arms raised. Guglielmi said Pontolillo made one downward strike towards Rice, hitting him in the neck and the hand. Rice's hand was nearly severed, and he bled to death at the scene.

Authorities are investigating whether Rice was involved with a rash of other recent robberies around the Johns Hopkins campus.

What new details would those be? That the kid was from New Jersey?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-sword-killing0917,0,16472.story

that's an updated one written today...from a few posts up

first one said he heard noises and found the guy in his garage

now it was released they went looking for him and found him outside and confronted him