slow news

Gary_Yngve

There's currently a movement called "slow food."

I think there needs to be a new movement called "slow news."

Nowadays news spreads fast, but it is often inaccurate, contains spelling/grammar errors, and lacks deep analysis. The newspapers used to do slow news, but they are hopping on the bandwagon of fast news. There are few places left that still do slow news, and they have high entries of barrier for up and coming journalists.

What do you think?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's currently a movement called "slow food."

I think there needs to be a new movement called "slow news."

Nowadays news spreads fast, but it is often inaccurate, contains spelling/grammar errors, and lacks deep analysis. The newspapers used to do slow news, but they are hopping on the bandwagon of fast news. There are few places left that still do slow news, and they have high entries of barrier for up and coming journalists.

What do you think?

Slow News is how we were able to firebomb Japanese cities and incinerate a million civilians without much public outrage.

what we need is more diverse ownership of media: 30 years ago, the media industry contained over 50 independent companies (tv, radio, newspapers). Today, there are 5 corporate conglomerates that control more that 80% of all the media sales. The "free" market leads to olygopolies in media like in all other industries.

what we need is more diverse ownership of media: 30 years ago, the media industry contained over 50 independent companies (tv, radio, newspapers). Today, there are 5 corporate conglomerates that control more that 80% of all the media sales. The "free" market leads to olygopolies in media like in all other industries.

You totally nailed it earlier on the Fox news/Glen Beck protest thing, I'm heading over there to that thread now to copy your post and put it next to today's news which you already said/predicted a week ago.

Nice call JB, but I wanted to thank you for giving me some knowledge which I might not have noticed had you not pointed out that the emperor had no clothes.

"socialize" is the key word here folks. Every time someone notes that "free market" in practice means corporate consolidation into a few conglomerates that control more of everything (in this case what 'news' we see), the rightwing implies that the unstated premise is to "socialize".

'Socialize' means 'make fit for social purpose', which is actually a good thing. What do pink and his rightwing friends mean by "socialize"?

Your talking points are rightwing.

The etymologie of the word is: 1828, "to render social," from social (adj.). Meaning "to be sociable, to mingle" is recorded from 1895. Socialization "process of making social" is from 1840.

Sounds like a good thing, right? But in corporate speak it means something entirely different that is bad. What does it mean? How is it bad to 'make things fit for social purpose'?

Sounds like a good thing, right? But in corporate speak it means something entirely different that is bad. What does it mean? How is it bad to 'make things fit for social purpose'?

depends on whose deciding what's fit for society... and what's their definition of "fit" is.