MontePiton

olyclimber

Monte Piton (Curt) got hurt after falling on Colchuck. The reason behind the incident appear to be well described in the newspaper link below, but it was related to a lightening strike and his rope getting chopped.

First mentioned here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/888798/Re_TR_Alpine_Lakes_Colchuck_an#Post888798

Article about the accident:

http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/16544

At any rate, not a thread to discuss the details of the accident, but to wish Curt a quick recovery from his accident. I'm sure a few of you know him.

Best wishes Curt!

Caring Bridge:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/curthaire

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The great writing of that link contrasts with the horror of the accident. Glad there was plenty of folks to assist when it occurred. We're all wishing you health and pain free days soon Curt. :wave:

Sample text:

"For those of us who have climbed with Curt, the accident is sobering. Bad things happening to people you know is always a disturbing source of disquiet. And for climbers, who are involved in an activity whose benefits are not easily verbalized, not generally understood, marginalized as risk takers, and written off as Conquistadors of the Useless, accidents like this make you weigh your own mortality next to your own love of an activity.

This is especially true with Curt because he climbs within his ability level (advanced, but not extreme) and within his knowledge base (very advanced). Sometimes we who wrestle with the dangers of the sport (which are real yet also exaggerated by the amount of media exposure they receive) can rationalize the danger when inexperienced climbers making too many mistakes or extreme climbers taking too many gambles bring the hatchet down on their own necks. But Curt occupies neither of these camps, so we who attempt technical routes in the mountains, where more hazards await us than on crags, must wrestle with the fact that if this can happen to him, it can happen to us**."

I've enjoyed his post, always interesting and informative, and frequently wondered who he was. What an unfathomably horrible and random accident. Best wishes curt to a fast and full recovery. Hope you get back to climbing and spraying in the near future.

Darin Berdinka

Yes Bill, I was really struck by those two paragraphs as well. It sounds like Curt is pretty messed up but going to come out alright, best of luck to him.

As I posted elsewhere, the four other climbers who came to the rescue deserve kudos for their quick response, I'm sure they tipped the balance towards a good outcome from a terrible accident.