[TR] North Gardner - NW Couloir 5/17/2009

AlpineK

Trip: North Gardner - NW Couloir

Date: 5/17/2009

Trip Report:

Way back in the 70s I heard about ski area plans for Big Sandy over in the Methow. After hearing about the plans I decided that someday I was going to build my own ski area there. The obvious way to plan a ski area, for me, was to start looking in my dad's Beckey books and find a place much cooler that Big Sandy.

I Settled on Gardner Mountain as the site and managed to talk my folks into a backcountry ski trip over there to check it out. The end result was a cool weekend overnight ski with some funny backcountry ski gear (skins and downhill ski gear). We all skied up to Cedar Creek below Gardner but not much further. In The end I ditched my ski area plans a lot faster than Aspen Corporation did. Being a young teenager I quickly moved on to the next thing without loosing sleep. I still wanted to ski Gardner though.

Recently at the 2009 Ski In I got some good views of Gardner from the Big Kangaroo area. It was time to actually ski up the peak. North Gardner looked to be the most convenient section of the Gardner area for a weekend trip. With some recruiting I managed to get tanstaafl psyched to ski in there.

Early on May 16th we left the Cedar Creek parking lot and started hiking with our ski gear on our back. Cedar Creek is pretty cool, but the first big challenge was to cross the creek. Crossing took a bit of scouting to finally settle on the least sketchy spot to wade.

Creek crossing location

1_Cedar_creek.jpg

After crossing we changed into ski boots and started step kicking through the remaining snow. At about 4500 feet we found enough snow to take the skis off our packs and start skiing.

Looking towards our objective down low

2_North_Gardner_1.jpg

After skiing more and debating the best route we reached our camp site. After a rest I skied up a ways to check out the best ski line.

This is what I came up with

3_Ascent_line.jpg

The next morning early we started skinning up. Everything went smoothly.

View west to Silverstar

4_Silverstar.jpg

Our ski line gave out a ways before the summit.

Here's a view above our ski line to the summit.

6_Summit.jpg

After scrambling we reached the top of North Gardner. Here are two photos.

Towards Glacier Peak

7_View_Glacier_Peak.jpg

Big Kangaroo and the Washington Pass Area.

7a_View_west_Big_Kangaroo.jpg

After hanging out on the summit it was time to ski! We scrambled back to the skis and got psyched.

View down the mountain. Cedar Creek is in the distance.

5_View_down.jpg

Turns at the top of the ski line.

8_Top_Turns.jpg

Looking back at the route.

9_Turns_from_base.jpg

Back at the tent we were pretty happy, but then the crazy skiing started. After packing we skied down the creek constantly plotting the best line. This was too nutty for photos. Of course eventually we had to pack our skis to get back to the creek and find our approach shoes. The water was higher this time across, but we made it back to the trail. Heavy packs sucked, but it all ended at the car. Finally it was party time!

It's quite a slog to get into North Gardner, but I'm happy I finally got to ski there on a nice sunny weekend!

Gear Notes:

Bring snow sliding stuff.

Approach Notes:

Crossing Cedar Creek was a tricky part. We did a bit of scouting before picking the point to cross. Try to find flat water.

When you head up the creek we found better schwacking on the climbers right side.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for a fun trip, Feck. Full value Cascades: trail hiking, creek wading, hours of dense schwacking, a nice couloir, and scrambling up a big pile o' choss to the summit. Definitely stay on climbers' right of Shelokum Creek; it was much much better than the left.

Nice work you guys, sounds like "fun." Too bad you've not built that tram yet. Looks like you had some pretty good ski conditions up high.

I've wanted to climb Gardner for years, looks like a cool place and a high peak w/ unique views into the Cascades.