Most over-bolted Oregon Crag

shapp

To Follow up on Checat, which crag is the most horendously over-bolted crag in the state, one to take as an example of how not to develop an area. A close race between Flagstone and Spring Mountain. Now I am not saying there aren't good climbs there, but somewhere along the way things spiralled out of control with any sort of reasonable bolt counts and route spacing.

Shapp

Edited by shapp

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the formations at the Callahans...not all.

I believe this has a lot to do with the fact that many over-bolted lines at the Callahans were developed by the same people that over-bolted at flagstone. Last name starts and ends with a T...

Same thing at Hills Creek Spires...

Edited by Checat

In terms of density (# bolts to square feet of climbable area) I bet smith has way less bolts than Flagstone or Spring Mt. Lets call a spade a spade, the Tvedt's are largely responsible for the B.S. at flagstone.

Edited by shapp

It was probably a couple years back but the REI in Eugene had them putting on clinics. I was always under the impression they bolted so that there children could lead what they were, and thats the way it should be after all: we should be able to customize every crag to fit our needs right?

The last time I visited F-stone there was a particular Fralick route that had yet to be retro-bolted. That remains my 2nd favorite climb (Ain't no Disco is sick!) out there (for the moves, not just the distance between bolts). I've heard the argument before "...you don't have to clip the new bolts, you can skip the ones you want...". It doesn't seem like it should be that way though...

Some of the formations at the Callahans...not all.

I believe this has a lot to do with the fact that many over-bolted lines at the Callahans were developed by the same people that over-bolted at flagstone. Last name starts and ends with a T...

Same thing at Hills Creek Spires...

Hills Creek Spires has about 20 routes only 2 or 3 being the Tvedts, this crag is not in anyway over bolted. Plus one of them he put up on lead so it is not your standard Tvedt route.