Winter Tires

rmncwrtr

Here's my situation - hubby is having knee surgery next week so he won't be skiing this coming year and probably won't be heading up with us just to hang out while we ski. We are homeschooling and started early in the summer so we could spend more time skiing in the winter so I plan on making the drive to Timberline and Ski Bowl a lot this winter. In the past we've always just used chains, but I never had to put them on. Now that it'll be me and the kids alone, I'd rather not have to deal with chains.

I went to tirerack.com to see the various options for my minivan. It came up with studless ice and snow tires as their preferred option. I was thinking I'd need studded tires. Can someone explain what will work best? Thanks!

Edited by rmncwrtr

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the Blizzack,

to follow up on the OP. Studs are sort of old school. They work pretty well but don't come into there own until you are operating on glare ice. Most of us are not racing around on a polished lake so they are not really huge. The newer generation of studless tires are designed to make the most of the available traction. Since lots of little variances exist on road surfaces they do a great job. The Bridgstones do a top grade with these tires. Just be mindfull, as was already noted, the studless tires are made of a softer rubber to stay more flexible in cold. This lets them wear fast in warmer weather and/or more abrasive use. Put the street skins back on as soon as you don't need the extra traction anymore.

I put some Nokian Hakkapeliitta link on my Vanagon just for the Finnish spelling fun factor. Actually, the Vanagon's a tall somewhat heavy breadbox, and these tires have really stiff sidewalls that help prevent that squishy cornering feel. They've been really swell in the snow as well, not surprising that the Finns would excel in that regard. These might be overkill for your minivan.